What is the best way to mount the johnson controls thermostat probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmatt34

Reaction score
I currently have it in a bottle of water in the back of my fridge, i was wondering if there is a more efficient way. The only reason i question myself is that i have four different thermos reading all different temps. The reason for this is probably where i have them located in the refrigerator. Any tips please? Also how trustworthy are the temperature strips for carboys?

I just leave mine hanging free (sorry....). I had it in some water, but it was causing a ton of condensation in the freezer. Seems to work fine.

There should be no need to put it in water; give it a little time and the probe will equalize with the air temp. If anything, putting it in water will make it read low as when the water evaporates it looses tempurature, so the water "could" be a degree or two lower than ambiant air temp. And just the same, if this is for a controler, the water would have to cool (or raise) tempurature before your thermometer will change temp; if you are controlling air temp I would think it best for the probe to be hanging in the air.

Oh, forgot to mention, but the dial on mine is not even close to accurate, I just put a thermometer in the keezer and dialed in the temp I wanted that way.

I use a pail, have a strip on it, which is accurate, and I have bubble wrap taped to the side of the pail. I stick the probe between the pail and the bubble wrap.

The temp controller readout, the strip and a digital thermometer reading of the liquid in the pail all line up.

Well the OP never answered if it was for fermenting or kegs so...

If it's for fermenting, tape it to the side of the fermenter that is most active. If it's for kegs, put it in a white labs vile with some water. Slit the cap so you can put it back on. You want a tiny bit of a buffer to stop the compressor from kicking on when you're messing with your kegs for a minute.

The water may indeed evaporate and cause condensation problems. Has anyone tried to put the probe into a jar/slant filled with sand? While sand doesn't have the heat/cold absorbing capacity of water, it won't evaporate and still will keep it's temp temporarily (and it's cheap).

Latest posts

Back