British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just brewed my own brown and then came across this thread. May have to put my kolsch off another week and have 2 browns going. Yeast options are us05 , 04 wyeast london esb or london 3. Any sugestions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

It is a sad day, I just kicked another keg of this great beer. Hopefully I can find some time to get another batch going soon. I love this beer as has any guests I have given this to.

Cheers

That's what I was thinking but trying to dexise which one is closest to OP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I have just asked a question about using home made victory malt here

I roasted some pale malt as I can't get Victory Malt from my homebrew supplier. After roasting it i left it in a paper bag and the aroma seems to be getting stronger and stronger - more nutty, which is awesome and just what I wanted.

Lil Sparky's recipe requires .5 lb of vcitory malt.

I made 500 grams - what are the risks of chucking it all in?

I would think since it is pale malt with a bit of roasting it shouldn't cause a problem, it will make the final deal very nutty. Which is exactly what I am after.

Well, 500G is more then double a half a pound. So the risk is that your batch will not be exactly like Lil Sparky's, it may be a bit more nutty/roasty. But if that appeals to you then I say go for! It sounds interesting to me.

Brewing this one now. I needed to get away from all the APA's and IPA's I've been brewing lately. Based on all the rave reviews I decided to give it a go. Had to sub Marris Otter for the Pale malt and I'm using S-04. I'm a little ticked off because I missed my mash temp pretty bad (150). Beersmith has been killing me with that lately for some reason. Still looking forward to trying this one.

Hey All, I'll be brewing this tomorrow minimash style. Just thought I'd share my conversion with anyone interested:

Grain Bill:

4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 46.2 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.3 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.3 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
1.00 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 15.8 IBUs
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -
2 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9 25.6 %

Doing a 4 gallon boil and then adding the DME at flamout. I'll let it sit for 10 minutes before chilling (to pasteurize the extract) and then top off with H2O to 5.5 gal in the carboy.

Looking forward to this one!

Brewed this up last night and had one hell of a stuck sparge. I'm guessing the oats contributed to that. Despite over-sparging and the final volume being off a little, I hit pre/post boil hydro readings on the head. She is churnin' today...gonna be hard to wait for this one!

Hi guys, trying to figure out which style this beer more closely aligns with: Northern English Brown Ale or American Brown Ale. Based on the OG I am leaning more towards American but in other ways it seems like American Brown... any input? From BJCP style guidelines:
11C. Northern English Brown

Aroma: Light, sweet malt aroma with toffee, nutty and/or caramel notes. A light but appealing fresh hop aroma (UK varieties) may also be noticed. A light fruity ester aroma may be evident in these beers, but should not dominate. Very low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Dark amber to reddish-brown color. Clear. Low to moderate off-white to light tan head.

Flavor: Gentle to moderate malt sweetness, with a nutty, lightly caramelly character and a medium-dry to dry finish. Malt may also have a toasted, biscuity, or toffee-like character. Medium to medium-low bitterness. Malt-hop balance is nearly even, with hop flavor low to none (UK varieties). Some fruity esters can be present; low diacetyl (especially butterscotch) is optional but acceptable.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Medium to medium-high carbonation.

Overall Impression: Drier and more hop-oriented that southern English brown ale, with a nutty character rather than caramel.

Comments: English brown ales are generally split into sub-styles along geographic lines.

Ingredients: English mild ale or pale ale malt base with caramel malts. May also have small amounts darker malts (e.g., chocolate) to provide color and the nutty character. English hop varieties are most authentic. Moderate carbonate water.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.040 – 1.052
IBUs: 20 – 30 FG: 1.008 – 1.013
SRM: 12 – 22 ABV: 4.2 – 5.4%
Commercial Examples: Newcastle Brown Ale, Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale, Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale, Wychwood Hobgoblin, Tröegs Rugged Trail Ale, Alesmith Nautical Nut Brown Ale, Avery Ellie’s Brown Ale, Goose Island Nut Brown Ale, Samuel Adams Brown Ale

10C. American Brown Ale

Aroma: Malty, sweet and rich, which often has a chocolate, caramel, nutty and/or toasty quality. Hop aroma is typically low to moderate. Some interpretations of the style may feature a stronger hop aroma, a citrusy American hop character, and/or a fresh dry-hopped aroma (all are optional). Fruity esters are moderate to very low. The dark malt character is more robust than other brown ales, yet stops short of being overly porter-like. The malt and hops are generally balanced. Moderately low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Light to very dark brown color. Clear. Low to moderate off-white to light tan head.

Flavor: Medium to high malty flavor (often with caramel, toasty and/or chocolate flavors), with medium to medium-high bitterness. The medium to medium-dry finish provides an aftertaste having both malt and hops. Hop flavor can be light to moderate, and may optionally have a citrusy character. Very low to moderate fruity esters. Moderately low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. More bitter versions may have a dry, resiny impression. Moderate to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have some alcohol warmth in the finish.

Overall Impression: Can be considered a bigger, maltier, hoppier interpretation of Northern English brown ale or a hoppier, less malty Brown Porter, often including the citrus-accented hop presence that is characteristic of American hop varieties.

Comments: A strongly flavored, hoppy brown beer, originated by American home brewers. Related to American Pale and American Amber Ales, although with more of a caramel and chocolate character, which tends to balance the hop bitterness and finish. Most commercial American Browns are not as aggressive as the original homebrewed versions, and some modern craft brewed examples. IPA-strength brown ales should be entered in the Specialty Beer category (23).

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, either American or Continental, plus crystal and darker malts should complete the malt bill. American hops are typical, but UK or noble hops can also be used. Moderate carbonate water would appropriately balance the dark malt acidity.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 20 – 40 FG: 1.010 – 1.016
SRM: 18 – 35 ABV: 4.3 – 6.2%
Commercial Examples: Bell’s Best Brown, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale, Big Sky Moose Drool Brown Ale, North Coast Acme Brown, Brooklyn Brown Ale, Lost Coast Downtown Brown, Left Hand Deep Cover Brown Ale

Bottled this up this past Saturday. 52 12oz. bottles! Awesome silky, malty, sweet, and drinkable! Can't wait for this bad boy to fully carb!

Pulled my first sample today. Only been kegged for a week but very good already. This will be a big hit! Now I have to try and leave it alone for another week or so, won't be easy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Is there anything that needs to be done between the primary and secondary fermentation stages?

Is there anything that needs to be done between the primary and secondary fermentation stages?

Waiting... There's no real need for secondary. It's primary use is for clearing beer. It really should be called a brite tank vs secondary since no fermentation is actually taking place. Most of us don't bother unless it's something like a fruit beer.

If you want that nut brown to come out real clean and smooth just leave it in primary for a couple months . After 3 weeks or so put it in a colder place maybe 60 degrees to allow the trub to settle down . Any way you go this is a good beer.

Just brewed this today, first ag (biab). Og was about 1.062, ending up around 4.8G.

Had to do two 2.5g batches on the stove top, one after the other, then pitched the yeast

Thread for trouble shooting some issues here: Click me

I followed the recipe almost exactly except that I used S 05 and was a bit more generous with the victory (home made) than the recipe calls for. OG was 1.050 and is now 1.01 and tastes prettttttttttttttty good. Will let it clean up a bit more and then bottle and THEN wait and wait....and wait and then enjoy.

I am doing my first AG nut brown using this recipe (in the OP). I am ordering ingredients today. Can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I followed the recipe almost exactly except that I used S 05 and was a bit more generous with the victory (home made) than the recipe calls for. OG was 1.050 and is now 1.01 and tastes prettttttttttttttty good. Will let it clean up a bit more and then bottle and THEN wait and wait....and wait and then enjoy.

I let my last nut brown ferment for 2 months . then bottled . After a couple weeks it was very smooth and tasty .

Boiling away now, did it as a BIAB. Had the ingredients last weekend but came down with the flu so I got delayed to this weekend. Going to try the mangrove jack brown ale yeast with this.

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

Is the recipe you guys use still the one from the first post ?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Is the recipe you guys use still the one from the first post ?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The last one I brewed that is now bottled was similar to the op . I used .50 lb chocolate and 1.5 lb oats and more hops . 2 oz fuggles and 1 oz kent golding . This is the one I left fermenting for two months .it tastes very similar to the op recipe actually . Very good .
Now I really like more stout version so I usually brew with 1 lb chocolate malt and 1 lb oats .
the op recipe is quite good . Low bitter and coffee flavor . Easy drinking . goes good on a hot day unlike a more stout brown in my opinion anyway . I just do not care much fora stronger flavored beer on a hot day but like em inside under the ac.

Q. I just received all my ingredients via N.B. but the Flaked Oats are not crushed. I assume as they are flaked that they cannot be crushed, and so it is ok?

As a matter of fact they look just like the quaker oats in my cupboard.

Thank you

Q. I just received all my ingredients via N.B. but the Flaked Oats are not crushed. I assume as they are flaked that they cannot be crushed, and so it is ok?

As a matter of fact they look just like the quaker oats in my cupboard.

Thank you

Flaked oats definitely don't need to be crushed.

So I never shared my story on this brew... I did 10gal several months back. And man did I mess up big on this beer. It was like ameature hour.

First off I brewed it before I got my thermapen (this brew was what set me off to buy one) thermometer crapped out during the mash... No idea what my mash temp was.

I also scaled it up to a 10gal batch and forgot to scale my mash water, so that screwed with my mash temp too.

I also forgot to double the hops. I didn't realize it until it was in the fermenter.

Thank god my efficiency was high. I ended up doing a hop tea with a calculated amount of water and added it to the fermenter.

The beer was awful, but I didn't toss it. I sampled it again a while later, and it was still bad, but still didn't toss it... After a couple months I almost tossed it, but I never did. Now it's not bad at all. It's actually pretty good. It lacks in the malty flavor, and it's a bit dry, but it does have a distinct nuttiness to it . So I'm drinking it.

I will brew it again for the fall—without the mistakes.

Brewing this up Saturday. Exactly.
Another inmate wants 5 gal of this also, so...When I move this off of the primary after approx. 3 weeks, can I pour his freshly brewed wort on to the yeast cake and proceed as normal?

...and I don't have a hop spider or anything like that, so I will have to come up with a way of keeping the pellet hops free of the yeast cake. Ideas?

It would be simple enough to start anew and use fresh yeast, and not at all costly at $4.00, but I'd like to learn a bit about re-using the cake. I just don't want to sacrifice the beer.
Thanks.

Just use muslin hop bags. They are like $.50 each. You will have loads of trub in the fermenter. Might want to wash the yeast and maybe save some in some canning jars for future use?

I brewed this on 3/25/14 went with exact recipe until yeast ; I used 1099 yeast y yeast ? How ever it's spelled ? Wit bread yeast. Smack pack , then read later on this forum that someone said ,"they would not use this yeast , because of fruity ness ? " can anyone chime in in this yeast selection?

Brewing this up Saturday. Exactly.

Another inmate wants 5 gal of this also, so...When I move this off of the primary after approx. 3 weeks, can I pour his freshly brewed wort on to the yeast cake and proceed as normal?

...and I don't have a hop spider or anything like that, so I will have to come up with a way of keeping the pellet hops free of the yeast cake. Ideas?

It would be simple enough to start anew and use fresh yeast, and not at all costly at $4.00, but I'd like to learn a bit about re-using the cake. I just don't want to sacrifice the beer.

Thanks.

Pitch right on top of yeast cake, it will take off like a rocket ! Yeah use m. Bags

Took a gravity sample today , it's down to 1.011 :) gonna give it another week and see ? Man it taste awesome ! And no fruity ness yet. Looks great.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396362956.643649.jpg my nut brown ale , thanks OP.

I brewed this back in December. I let my fermentation temps get too high, and the Nottingham yeast produced a pretty strong fruity flavor that masked all of the other flavors in the beer.

I've been drinking one a week since then, and it's been getting better every week. Today I drank it, and I just had my first "This is amazingly delicious!!!!" with one of my homebrews. Thanks for the recipe, it's turned into a fantastic beer! (And I'm sure it would have been fantastic sooner with better temp control!)

Back