Want to make some sour beer? Join my wine-barrel project in the Portland area.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped off my 8 gallons yesterday since I'm heading out of town today.
Nice to meet theveganbrewer and look forward to a meetup so I can actually meet everyone else.
He let me know that Racoon Lodge is very close to his place so that could be a good destination to gather and enjoy some sours.
Maybe September after the summer rush is over?

Hey Vegan, I can't make the dump on Saturday, unless after 7 pm works. I'm leading a tour. Would there be a time today or Sunday that would work, or I could just drop it off? Would you pm me your address please?

Was nice to meet you all today, I am pretty excited to see how this turns out. Had the opportunity to taste some really great beers today too, thanks for bringing them over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for having us. I don't get to hang out with other homebrewers very often, so this was pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing how this project turns out!

Edit: Just watched the video. That airlock activity is insane. I'd like to know how long that goes on before it dies down.

Ok I'll keep you posted. It's even faster now actually. Who knows what the hell is going on in there, but it's awesome. :)

What's in the barrel:

ECY01 Bug Farm
Wyeast Roselare
Jolly Pumpkin La Roja dregs
Green Flash Rayon Vert dregs
Logsdon Saison Bretta dregs
Cascade The Vine dregs
Russian River Temptation
The Bruery Saison de Lent dregs
Cantillon Brett C3

I believe we were at 7.5 brix after everything was pitched--->Thanks Jhalloran. That's partially fermented so the brix is going to be off, but we're right in there where we want to be. There is some sacc still working on the beer and we should have it down to 1.010 soon.

Awesome! Pitched on my mother's birthday! I'll drop my carboy off in a few hour. Been working most of yesterday. I lead a tour, my first lead tour! It was a blast! After Brewvana I worked a wedding at Adriana Ballroom. I'm pretty beat. Just finished packing up my backpack, I'm hiking Mt Adams starting mid morning today, and Monday. I'll drop off my carboy as I'm leaving town. Hope this is cool. I'll stash it in the bushes or quietly place it on your porch seeing as it'll be about 8 am. Stoked. *Mentally kicking myself*

Busy guy! Got your beer into the barrel and we are close to the top with foam. I think in a week or two we can use 5 gallons to get the actual liquids filled up once the foam dies down. I think ibrewaletx is on that. Here's a pic from this am after pitching the last batch.

ForumRunner_20130630_100350.jpg

Vegan,

Do you remember who you bought that bottle filler from?

It was called the Bowie Bottler, the thread here has been removed. Not sure why. The guy that made them is/was a member.

Here a video of it:

I couldn't find any info on purchasing on the web. Someone I read about bought one from Annapolis Home Brew. (check them out online they are super cool to deal with but don't list adapter in inventory online) In the instructions that came with the adapter the contact information is
[email protected]

theveganbrewer said:
Busy guy! Got your beer into the barrel and we are close to the top with foam. I think in a week or two we can use 5 gallons to get the actual liquids filled up once the foam dies down. I think ibrewaletx is on that. Here's a pic from this am after pitching the last batch.

I will brew the 5 gallons on July 7th (next day off), I'll drop by prior to that & pick up the fermentors.

I just realized tonight as I was bottling some more beer that the beer I gave you all on pitch day wasn't my Heady Topper clone, it was my Fort George Tender Loving Empire clone. I only mention it because I know a few of you have never had heady, don't want to misrepresent it.

.Primary fermentation has subsided. Down to about 1 bubble every 3 seconds now. Krausen has died down too.

Another week of solid fermentation. I bet it already tastes different. You planning on having your heady clone at the next meet up? The Fort George clone was quite good, even if it wasn't heady topper. Cheers!

Yeah, I'll brew some up in time. Anyone remember enough about the first tasting to write down some notes for everyone that we can keep on record?

Ummm..checked gravity today, it's down to 1.002 already. :confused: It's clear and smells a little of the good funky. Hint of tart, but it completely different from what it was 10 days ago. Thoughts? We shouldn't be anywhere near this low already. Even in warm conditions, 1.020 would be normal I think. There's nothing left for anything to eat.

In it for the long haul. That's pretty dry, but racking it over fruit in 1 1/2 years will fix that.

This is half of the set, you can make yourself easy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perlick-Gro...452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d459384c

Than just buy the perlick adapter from ebay or amazon for 9 bucks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FW6BA8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Williams Brewing also has something similar: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PERLICK-FAUCET-TUBING-GROWLER-FILLER-ADAPTER-P3153.aspx

Just noticed these on homebrewfinds (from a few days ago). Non-Perlick stainless growler adapter for $2.95 and the Perlick adapter for $3.95 both from 'More Beer'

Ummm..checked gravity today, it's down to 1.002 already. :confused: It's clear and smells a little of the good funky. Hint of tart, but it completely different from what it was 10 days ago. Thoughts? We shouldn't be anywhere near this low already. Even in warm conditions, 1.020 would be normal I think. There's nothing left for anything to eat.

I wouldn't worry too much, there was a lot going on in there.

I left my Brewcraft 8 gal fermenter there when I dropped it off! When is a good day to swing by to pick it up?

What's the next step?

Did anyone make it to Puckerfest yet? I went for the Cascade/Block 15 night and had some great beers. Thinking about going again on Wednesday for Double Mountain's Ranier Kriek which is one of my favorite beers.

Cheers!

Brewbien said:
Did anyone make it to Puckerfest yet? I went for the Cascade/Block 15 night and had some great beers. Thinking about going again on Wednesday for Double Mountain's Ranier Kriek which is one of my favorite beers.

Cheers!

I'm going tonight to catch the Double Mountain Krieks at 5pm. I've been working nights the last week so this is my first chance to head over there. Let me know if you are heading there, since I missed the "pitch" I would be happy to meet other project members.

Was it pretty damn crowded when you went to Cascade/Block 15 night?

I'm going tonight to catch the Double Mountain Krieks at 5pm. I've been working nights the last week so this is my first chance to head over there. Let me know if you are heading there, since I missed the "pitch" I would be happy to meet other project members.

Was it pretty damn crowded when you went to Cascade/Block 15 night?

Yeah, it was pretty busy and some of the beers I wanted were gone already. I didn't make it there til 8pm because of work.

I went to Puckerfest the night Flat Tale's brewer was there. Their Lemon Diesel was delicious. It was a Saison dry hopped with mosaic blended with a 2 year old Berliner Weise. Also Upright's barrel aged rye with raspberries was my other favorite.

I went to Puckerfest the night Flat Tale's brewer was there. Their Lemon Diesel was delicious. It was a Saison dry hopped with mosaic blended with a 2 year old Berliner Weise. Also Upright's barrel aged rye with raspberries was my other favorite.

Nice. I didn't make it back for the Double Mountain night. I did make it to the International Beer Fest though and it was the best yet. A lot of beautiful sours from belgium as well as two amazing beers from The Bruery.

I have 5 gallons pitched and fermenting for 'angel share' - It should be ready within 2 weeks. I am way behind- should have had this in the fermenter two weeks ago but summers are just too busy. I'll PM theveganbrewer in a week or so to arrange time to rack over into the barrel.
I assume we still need to top off?

Nice. I didn't make it back for the Double Mountain night. I did make it to the International Beer Fest though and it was the best yet. A lot of beautiful sours from belgium as well as two amazing beers from The Bruery.

I also made it to the International Beer Fest (first time there) and had some great beer, also did a few sours. Was a nice location and good time.
I didn't make it to OBF, I'll try to make it next year.

Hey guys, I decided to get out of brewing last week. I'm still on board with our project, but I've changed phone numbers and don't get on here anymore, so if you need to contact me, [email protected] will work if there is a need for me to come on here, someone please let me know via email.

Beer now smells like I think it should. It's gone from really nasty to funky, and now has the profile more similar to a Flanders red. Remarkable progress for a month.

Barrel project is still a go, I'm just not brewing anymore. Well have to decided what to do when the beer is done, perhaps split the barrel and then see if someone wants to take it and continue the solera elsewhere or not.

Back