Please Cretique Citra Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstrohs

Reaction score
I had a Citra Pale Ale at a local brewery and it was incredible. I am looking to make my own version of one. I like the tropical/pineapple taste of the hops and I want a malty body. Please advise.

Batch Size: 5.5 Gallons
Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1764-Rogue Pacman Ale
Starter: Yes
Estimated Pre Boil OG: 1.042
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.54
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol By Volume: 5.4%
IBU: 34
SRM: 9

Boil Time: 60 Mins
Anticipated Efficiency: 75%

grains:
8.5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Victory Malt
0.5 lbs Caramel 25
0.5 lbs Carapils

Mash at 154F.

Hop Additions:
0.50 oz Magnum 60 min
0.50 Oz Citra 10 Min
0.50 Oz Citra 5 Min
1.0 Oz Citra 1 Min
1.0 Oz Citra [dry hop]

It all depends on what you're looking for. The Marris will give you lots of earthy malt taste, but I would question your yeast choice. Pac-Man is high attenuation and may leave you a bit dry, with only mild-fruit flavors. If that's what you're looking for then go for it. If you want the tropical fruit flavors to REALLY show through then you may want to try Belgian yeast. If you're feeling ballsy, want lots of tropical fruit and like the Brett character then give the Trappist blend a try. Personally, Belgian is how I would go.

I think the recipe looks solid. I think that 1lb of victory might be a bit much unless you want a really toasty malt flavor. I would personally cut that back to no more than 8oz and fill it in with more Maris otter (which will already give you a bready toasty note anyway).

As for the yeast, it is a high attenuator, so to keep it from getting too dry, I would mash high, like around 154.

Other than those little notes, I think you have a solid beer waiting to be brewed.

It all depends on what you're looking for. The Marris will give you lots of earthy malt taste, but I would question your yeast choice. Pac-Man is high attenuation and may leave you a bit dry, with only mild-fruit flavors. If that's what you're looking for then go for it. If you want the tropical fruit flavors to REALLY show through then you may want to try Belgian yeast. If you're feeling ballsy, want lots of tropical fruit and like the Brett character then give the Trappist blend a try. Personally, Belgian is how I would go.

I have some washed American Ale II. What about using that with fermentation around 68 deg?

Pacman is actually a fine choice for that beer. It ferments very clean with little or no esters which will highlight your grain and hop flavors.

Yes it will finish low, but who want's a crisp refreshing pale ale?:rolleyes:
_

I have some washed American Ale II. What about using that with fermentation around 68 deg?

American Ale II does produce some citrus character, so if you have that on hand I'd go with that and save the Pac-Man for a bigger beer. Its really up to you with what you are looking for... that's the beauty of homebrewing. Do you want the fruit and citrus to jump out at you, or keep the hop character in a league of its own.

Honestly, you will have a good brew with either one. It's a solid recipe and it will turn out well, it's just what would be better for your taste and expectations.

Any updates on how this turned out, or any changes you did/would make?

It turned out really well. Here is the actual recipe that I used.

Batch Size: 5.5 Gallons
Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II
Starter: Yes
Estimated Pre Boil OG: 1.049
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.062
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated Alcohol By Volume: 6.2%
IBU: 39
SRM: 9

Boil Time: 60 Mins
Anticipated Efficiency: 75%

grains:
10 lbs Maris Otter
0.75 lbs Victory Malt
0.75 lbs Caramel 25
0.5 lbs Carapils

Mash at 154F.

Hop Additions:
0.50 oz Magnum 60 min
0.50 Oz Citra 15 Min
0.50 Oz Citra 5 Min
1.0 Oz Citra 1 Min
1.0 Oz Citra [dry hop]

The American Ale II accentuated the fruitiness of the citra hops a little too much which left the beer a bit sweeter than I would have liked. The next time I brew it I will probably use a neutral yeast. I think that the grain bill and hop schedule are perfect. The OG is a little high for the style so I might reduce it to fall within guidelines. I will report back after I brew this a second time.

Sounds good, I actually brewed another Citra Pale Ale recipe yesterday. Similar grain bill, magnum at 60 and citra & cascade at 10, 5 and whirlpool.

Sounds good, I actually brewed another Citra Pale Ale recipe yesterday. Similar grain bill, magnum at 60 and citra & cascade at 10, 5 and whirlpool.

The cascade and the citra will go well together. What yeast did you use?

Dude, I just remade an IPA that was a best of show winner a couple of months ago, but switched from Wyeast 1275 to Wyeast 1272, and that American Ale II yeast strain made my beer sweet as hell. It's ridiculously fruity.. honestly, a bit too much for my liking. It was better I think when it was smooth, dry, and bitter.

Latest posts

Back