HDPE Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipper

Reaction score
Been trying to find a low cost secondary for dry hopping and adding fruit, and found these 9 gallon buckets on ebay. I figure it's a great way to do my 5 gallon batches without a blowoff tube (after I make a hole and add a gasket for the airlock).

Has anyone had experience with these before? I did a search here for HDPE and saw something about HDPE cracking?

HDPE is High Density Poly Etheline. It is food grade and used for many things. It is a higher density the PET plastic which is more flexible and used for things like water bottles. It is safe to ferment in.

In fact I use a Gamma Vittles food vault to ferment my lagers. I have this hump on the side of my freezer that leaves me about 14" from the top to put something. A 1" cube comes to just over 7 gallons meaning I can put a 5 gallon batch in it (really more like 5.5 gallons as I count for transfer waste). I have been using it for quite some time.

I have two of those exact containers. I was in the process of moving it back to my garage when I read your post. I drilled holes in the lids for ferm locks and then added drum spigots (covered in foil) to the bottoms. I am fermenting a batch of EdWort's Haus Ale in one right now. You can even see my temp is right on 68F. I'll be kegging it on Saturday...if nothing else comes up.
DSC_0216.jpg

Been trying to find a low cost secondary for dry hopping and adding fruit, and found these 9 gallon buckets on ebay. I figure it's a great way to do my 5 gallon batches without a blowoff tube (after I make a hole and add a gasket for the airlock).

Has anyone had experience with these before? I did a search here for HDPE and saw something about HDPE cracking?

I have two of those exact containers. I was in the process of moving it back to my garage when I read your post. I drilled holes in the lids for ferm locks and then added drum spigots (covered in foil) to the bottoms. I am fermenting a batch of EdWort's Haus Ale in one right now. You can even see my temp is right on 68F. I'll be kegging it on Saturday...if nothing else comes up.
DSC_0216.jpg

That's fantastic, thanks. Do you happen to know the part numbers / size for the grommet and spigots?

*edit* never mind I see they can be found everywhere. Thanks again, and I hope your brew turns out great.

I bought some grommets from BMW, but had trouble fitting them. So, I took the grommets out of my old 6gal plastic bucket fermenters. I only use those buckets for bottling now. You are correct about the spigots, they can be purchased anywhere. I did opt for the larger drum spigots.

With no handles, how much of a pain are they to move when full?

I have been lifting mine by the bottom edge of the lid. The top of the container angles in and it leaves a nice gap as seen in the photo below. Also, the bottom of the lid has a lip on it that makes it easier to grab. The whole thing weighs maybe 45lbs...definitely lighter and safer to carry than a carboy. I'm going to build a fermentation chamber in my garage and something with wheels for spring/summer.
DSC_0217.jpg

Just thought I'd give an update.

I've used these a few times now. The first batch was with some fruit, and now I always smell the fruit regardless of how well I have cleaned it. It hasn't impacted any of the beer though.

One of these has an air leak, so I assume it's around the lid. I never see any action in the airlock when I use that fermenter, but the beer still tastes great. The other one is air tight. I guess it really doesn't matter, but I personally like to see the airlock go since there is no other way to watch it ferment. I find myself peeking at times just to make sure the yeast is staying busy.

The grommets for the airlocks keep splitting when I shove in an airlock, so I need to buy more and make the holes slightly larger. I know the air leak isn't around that, however, since I can still get air lock action.

Back