DME Shelf-Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Never really asked this directly: How long does DME last if unopened and kept in the fridge?

Never really asked this directly: How long does DME last if unopened and kept in the fridge?

was curious about that myself. i recently made a beer with scraps of stuff i had laying around. the DME had been sitting in the package on my dresser for like 5 months. anyway the beer is in the bottle now the fermentation went good. tasted it at bottling it seemed good. i guess i'll find out.

I've never had the stuff go bad once in my possession; it never lasts long enough. :)

From everything I've experienced, it's not "bad" until it starts to clump into a brick. Then you might have some problems. Briess has shelf-life data available in their product information PDFs:

STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Unopened bags best if used within 24 months from date of manufacture.
Store in a cool, dry location.
Product is hygroscopic.
Storing opened bags is not recommended.

I wouldn't keep it in the fridge. Too moist. It's best to keep DME in a cool, dark place, yes; that means under the stairs or in the basement, not in a freezer or fridge. Save the refrigerated space for hops and yeast.

There ya go!

Bob

Back