StarSan bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Looking for a spray bottle to keep my starsan in. Should I run to my local janitor supply place? or could I rinse out and reuse a windex bottle or similar? wondering if I would have some adverse reaction doing that. If I need to buy a bottle, does it need to be any special material?

If you can get by with a smaller bottle, go to the section in WalMart, Target, etc where they sell travel size tubes of toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo. Lots of 8 ounce spray bottles in a variety of colors :) . Or just re-purpose your empty windex bottle, rinse it out, fill with star-san. Spray a couple of pumps to purge the windex.

I just picked up two at Wally World this morning. They are 32oz bottles, and cost 97 cents each (which is probably cheaper than the small travel ones). I found them in the aisle with cleaning goods and laundry detergents. I needed one for star-san as well, and figured a spare couldn't hurt.

I've had unending problems with spraybottles giving up the ghost after a few refills.. water, etc.

However, I've never had a problem with THIS. They are also available at HD.

A few pumps and all you do is pull the trigger..

I've had unending problems with spraybottles giving up the ghost after a few refills.. water, etc.

However, I've never had a problem with THIS. They are also available at HD.

A few pumps and all you do is pull the trigger..

YEAH, thoses are great, thats what I use also.

I have a couple garden sprayers here at work that have a hose and wand... I suppose they could work too... They are just waiting to be "acquired" for at home use!

Almost anything can work. I'm using my second spray bottle. Loved my first one but it broke. (Neck snapped off...) My wife got one that doesn't fit my hand real well, but it has been working right along. I'm sure a rinsed out windex bottle would be just fine.

I got mine at dollar tree a couple years ago,still works. Darn handy size of about a quart. They just don't have them all the time. I also got my white plastic funnels,measuring cups & measuring spoons there as well. Also some nice beer glasses as can be seen in my gallery. Everything works if ya let it...

If you're using an old Windex bottle, I'd recommend rinsing it thoroughly with water and spraying some water through the nozzle before putting any Star San in. Windex's PH is 10.7, undiluted Star San is 1. I'm no chemist so I don't know what happens when you mix ammonium hydroxide with phosphoric acid but I do know that violent reactions are not uncommon when you mix acids and bases. It's good to err on the side of caution for personal safety and because neutralizing an acidic sanitizer with an alkaline cleaner defeats the purpose.

Back