Another Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpsbight

Reaction score
Got my results back from Ward labs. This is my well h20. I am currently reading thru boards, etc. Any quick comments on my report would be appreciated. I am tryng to brew IPA, APA brews mostly.
Thanks.
pH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 166
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.28
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.9 / 2.8
ppm
Sodium, Na 25
Potassium, K 5
Calcium, Ca 25
Magnesium, Mg 5
Total Hardness, CaCO3 83
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 2
Chloride, Cl 9
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 147
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 121
Total Phosphorus, P 1.29
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

would love some feedback on above well water. messsing around with ezwater seems to tell me to use 100% RO for mash for my IPA.

Its not too bad. I was slightly surprised with the slightly elevated sodium, but then I noticed you are in Savannah. The aquifer gets a little more affected by seawater intrusion as you get closer to the coast. The main problem is the alkalinity. It is at a fairly high level, so if acidification is to be performed to reduce that alkalinity, phosphoric acid really needs to be strongly considered. Other acids may contribute too much flavor to the finished beer. Bru'n Water has the tools for working with this water. This water is otherwise quite usable for brewing. Acidification will be needed along with a dose of gypsum for pale ales.

Back