IIPA Hop Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
I have some hops I want to use up and the desire to do an IIPA. I will use pale malt and C40. I plan for it to be 7-8% and 85-100 IBUs, think Hop Stoopid!. I am not concerned if it is exactly true to standard.

My hops to choose from:

Chinook
Simcoe
Centennial
Cascade
Williamette
Amarillo

Okay hopheads, what is a good combo/schedule?

I just did this all centennial and it came out fantastic. Similar recipe to what you are talking about at about 8%
14lbs Pale 2 row
2lbs Crystal 40
1lb DME

3oz Centennial 60min
1.5oz Centennial 30min
1oz Centennial 10min
1oz Centennial Flamout
2oz Dry hop for a week.
with Safale 05

Came out really nice super citrusy and resiny

I'd use chinook for bittering, centennial for flavor, and Amarillo/simcoe for aroma and dry hopping...

What would be a good bittering target, from what I gather, about 40-45 IBUs? I want a hop bomb, not a bitter bomb!

Just a heads up that Hop Stoopid uses hop extract to help get that "smack you across the face with hops" flavor. Schedule for your target IBUs with the bittering and flavor and then a hopback and/or an obscene amount of aroma and dry hops should send it over the edge.

I also agree with the Chinook for bittering and Centennial for the main flavoring hops. I wouldn't introduce the Williamette, but that's just my taste / preference. If you're going to use Centennial, ditch the Cacade as it's roughly the same. Mix up some Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cent. for aroma and dry hop and that's sounding really good to me.

Agreed, tons of flavor and aroma, but I would blow out the bitter too.

2 oz of chinook 90 min, ALL the rest (except 2 oz centennial for dry hopping) at 10 min or flameout.

I also agree with the Chinook for bittering and Centennial for the main flavoring hops. I wouldn't introduce the Williamette, but that's just my taste / preference. If you're going to use Centennial, ditch the Cacade as it's roughly the same. Mix up some Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cent. for aroma and dry hop and that's sounding really good to me.

I didn't necessarily mean to use Williamette or Cascade, just pointing out that I had them. What amount of IBUs should I target for the bittering? I may not have more than an ounce of Chinook. If not what else would work? I have Cluster (similiar to Galena) as well.

Basically, would they play nice together for bitter, in combo with Centennial for flavor, and Simcoe/Amarillo for aroma/dry hopping??

What would be a good bittering target, from what I gather, about 40-45 IBUs? I want a hop bomb, not a bitter bomb!

If you want something with "Hop Bursting", do about 1.25 ounces of Chinook as your bittering, then start at 25 mins with all the other hops.

1.25 oz Chinook - 60 mins
1.0 oz Simcoe - 25 mins
1.0 oz Centennial - 20 mins
1.0 oz Cascade - 15 mins
1.0 oz Simcoe - 10 mins
1.0 oz Centennial - 5 mins
1.0 oz Amarillo - 0 mins

2 oz Centennial - Dry Hop
2 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop

The above hop schedule would be about 100 IBU's with about 18.5 lbs of grain. Your volumes would need to be 8 gallons pre, and 5.5 post, boil.

That would utilize almost all the hops you have, and it would taste DA BOMB!

If you want something with "Hop Bursting", do about 1.25 ounces of Chinook as your bittering, then start at 25 mins with all the other hops.

1.25 oz Chinook - 60 mins
1.0 oz Simcoe - 25 mins
1.0 oz Centennial - 20 mins
1.0 oz Cascade - 15 mins
1.0 oz Simcoe - 10 mins
1.0 oz Centennial - 5 mins
1.0 oz Amarillo - 0 mins

2 oz Centennial - Dry Hop
2 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop

The above hop schedule would be about 100 IBU's with about 18.5 lbs of grain. Your volumes would need to be 8 gallons pre, and 5.5 post, boil.

That would utilize almost all the hops you have, and it would taste DA BOMB!

Thanks to you and all!

I would also utilize in adding small amounts like 0.25 oz every min from the 20 min - 0 min mark. I just made a IIPA where I used Amarillo and Cent. like this. If you want a subtle bitterness then use Amarillo for bittering and if you want a bite use Chinook.

Back