Winterifying-cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I currently have an extremely standard cider brew on (yes, it's a kit, doh.)
I'm currently in Primary, secondary in a week or so. What can I do to make this a christmas brew? Spice it somehow? Flavourings after? I'm open to any suggestions and methods, so long as it's ready within a month and it tastes good:D

If you want that spiced taste you could always drop a single cinnamon stick into the secondary along with a single clove and leave it until you get the taste you want. But that runs the risk of adding a flavor you might not like to an entire batch.

I'd say wait until it's done and when it comes time to backsweeten do half with the spices and half without. Maybe boil a cinnamon stick in water with a little honey to make a flavored syrup?

I would recommend leaving it as-is then adding spice and various seasonings to a pot or sauce pan (depends on what consistancy you want) and making a mulled cider. There are many recipes for mulled ciders so I won't list them here but you can google a few.

Wait till it's ready & serve it hot with a cinnamon stick & a pinch of nutmeg in each serving. Maybe add a shot of something stronger (IE: vodka) Regards, GF.

hmm, may be a good idea. we have the german market here at the moment, and they sell home-made mulling ingredients too, which are delightful :)

Back