Raspberry Wheat Extract Recipe Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamgardner

Reaction score
Wimpy's Raspberry Patch Wheat
Fruit Beer

Type: Extract Date: 7/7/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: William & Joseph
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.61 %
3.25 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 41.94 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)Grain 6.45 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (55 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
6.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale
4 lb Raspberries (Fresh/Frozen)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.91 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 22.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM

I know there has been much discussion on when to add the raspberries, and I am not quite sure. I am leaning towards after the end of the boil...let sit for 15 min, then dump into primary. Any feedback/experience would be helpful. Also any general feedback would be great..

I want to try a Raspberry Wheat this coming Sunday but I was thinking of using 4oz of Raspberry flavoring in the bottleing bucket.

Wimpy's Raspberry Patch Wheat
Fruit Beer

Type: Extract Date: 7/7/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: William & Joseph
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.61 %
3.25 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 41.94 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)Grain 6.45 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (55 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
6.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale
4 lb Raspberries (Fresh/Frozen)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.91 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 22.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM

I know there has been much discussion on when to add the raspberries, and I am not quite sure. I am leaning towards after the end of the boil...let sit for 15 min, then dump into primary. Any feedback/experience would be helpful. Also any general feedback would be great..

I would suggest putting them in the secondary. you will lose flavor and aroma by adding it to the primary That is what I do. I have also did 1/2 lb per gallon of beer.

add the respberries in secondary.

check the recipe in my sig. It fermented for a week in primary, then was transfered to secondary on top of the raspberries. in 5 days they were white, and sinking to the bottom.

Check my Raspberry Ale recipe (and probably others in the database) for a discussion on how to manage the fruit in your beer. Generally, people do not boil fruit.

I dumped mine (blackberries) in the primary after two weeks, then allowed in to sit another two. I think it is ready to bottle this weekend. Your recipe looks at lot like mine, even down to the maltodextrin amount. In addition to the fresh berries, I am adding 2 oz of blackberry extract at bottling for aroma. Hope it works out.:mug:

+1 to that and the Requiem Raspberry recipe. I use 48 oz of fresh raspberries and could still stand more flavor.

I am about to tap my first keg of Requiem Raspberry. I used 36oz of raspberries.
Media_CardBlackBerrypicturesIMG00029.jpg

I want to try a Raspberry Wheat this coming Sunday but I was thinking of using 4oz of Raspberry flavoring in the bottleing bucket.

----------------

I did a 5 gal Raspberry Blonde using this method, (with 5oz priming sugar) it had a ton of head and raspberry flavor. Too much raspeberry for me.

I would just use all wheat extract cause it is already like 60/40 with barley.

I will go against the current and say add your fruit to the primary. I make fruit beers often and ALWAYS get much better flavor and aroma by adding it to the primary. The yeast activity physically and chemically breaks down the fruit and extracts more out of it.

I'm doing a Blueberry wheat with freshly picked blueberries. My plan was to freeze them, then pasteurize them at ~160F, then rack on top of them in secondary. A few questions:
1) Should I smash the blueberries after pasteurization? Will that result in a huge mess when it comes time to rack to the bottling bucket?
2) Is 4lbs enough to get a noticeable yet not overwhelming blueberry flavor?
3) Any other suggestions?

I am seeing a lot of fresh raspberries being used in a secondary... How do you sanitize and keep the beer from re-fermenting with fresh berries...?

Back