The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that all you have to be sad about? Try being a Southampton fan and losing 4 key players with other talent to follow the exit sign. Being one of the big four is one hell of a lot easier!!

Sorry...

1406511816126.jpg

Update your material. Your almost as bad as that guy still making the cup jokes.

Instead of making fun of him you should be consoling him. You know how it feels bro.

It sucks South Ham was one of the more entertaining teams to watch last year. :(

Instead of making fun of him you should be consoling him. You know how it feels bro.

It sucks South Ham was one of the more entertaining teams to watch last year. :(

I guess it's good for you Norwich never had anyone good enough to sell.

Is that all you have to be sad about? Try being a Southampton fan and losing 4 key players with other talent to follow the exit sign. Being one of the big four is one hell of a lot easier!!

Look on the bright side LGI...you've got an awesome academy & a ton of money to re-invest. Considering Southampton's historical business model, I would consider this an excellent summer.

And now 18 year old hot prospect Callum Chambers to Arsenal. Many think the club is up for sale. :(

$120m in, about $30m out so far.

How much of it is the club and how much of it is the players?

When a player has their head turned then it can be pretty hard to hang on to them, but if it's the club cashing in then it's nuts. I could see one or maybe two players sold but this many....

Hopstupid,
Since you're a Manchester City fan now, you might need to catch up on their history.
Below is "Manchester City Football Club: Bio & History"
A full 2 minutes long.
You might as well skip the second minute, as its what brought you to be a fan, 2008-present.
Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Pm53IbwOJV4

How much of it is the club and how much of it is the players?

When a player has their head turned then it can be pretty hard to hang on to them, but if it's the club cashing in then it's nuts. I could see one or maybe two players sold but this many....

It seems they have a policy of anyone expressing a desire to leave can GTFO when they can get a good deal. They will be relying heavily on the academy, it seems.

There should be an influx of new players soon as they are trying to hit their first choice targets simultaneously according to one insider.

Saints Manager tweeted this pic today, under the title "Ready for training!"

Btnv8XhIcAAlP1D.jpg:large

It seems they have a policy of anyone expressing a desire to leave can GTFO when they can get a good deal. They will be relying heavily on the academy, it seems.

There should be an influx of new players soon as they are trying to hit their first choice targets simultaneously according to one insider.

That's sad.

I figured Lallana would go because his stock has risen massively but it really seems like the administration is happy being a feeder/development club for EPL teams higher up the food chain. Cashing in on a couple good players and reinvesting that over a couple seasons could see you moving up the table rapidly. Cashing out on most of your squad makes that much harder.

Hopstupid,
Since you're a Manchester City fan now, you might need to catch up on their history.
Below is "Manchester City Football Club: Bio & History"
A full 2 minutes long.
You might as well skip the second minute, as its what brought you to be a fan, 2008-present.
Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Pm53IbwOJV4
DISCLAIMER!!!!!
I have no say either way in this argument. I just love excuses to use these:

uc

apply-cold-water-to-the-burned-area.jpeg

Galaxy vs Sounders

should be good

I'm not sure if it's because of the MLS* hype machine or because LA vs Seattle is always entertaining, but I'm freaking pumped for this match!

* -- I hate having to type or say "the MLS" even if it is grammatically correct and not someone trying to say "The Major League Soccer"

Really Seattle.......Really I swear sometimes they play like they are fighting for not being last

Really Seattle.......Really I swear sometimes they play like they are fighting for not being last

Dude, they've dominated all year and are still clear SS frontrunners. This thwomping was due to a couple factors:

A) LA, this year, being one of those teams stuck in limbo; they can beat the best any given day even on the road, but they play down to lesser opponents.

B) Bruce went on full offensive last night to prove the scoreline against Man U doesn't matter because he thinks midweek, mid season friendlies are beyond stupid.

Dude, they've dominated all year and are still clear SS frontrunners. This thwomping was due to a couple factors:

A) LA, this year, being one of those teams stuck in limbo; they can beat the best any given day even on the road, but they play down to lesser opponents.

B) Bruce went on full offensive last night to prove the scoreline against Man U doesn't matter because he thinks midweek, mid season friendlies are beyond stupid.

It's just frustrating to watch. It's not just this game it's been throughout the season where some games the backfield just decides F it I've got a 5yd ring that I can't move out of......oh what how did that guy blow by me? Eh already down 1-0 we tried guys golf clap.

But yes the good has definitely outweighed the bad. I can't wait for the open cup semis. Dont know why but I'm always a big fan of the Open cup wins.

It's just frustrating to watch. It's not just this game it's been throughout the season where some games the backfield just decides F it I've got a 5yd ring that I can't move out of......oh what how did that guy blow by me? Eh already down 1-0 we tried guys golf clap.

But yes the good has definitely outweighed the bad. I can't wait for the open cup semis. Dont know why but I'm always a big fan of the Open cup wins.

I'm actually a big fan of the Open Cup, which is frustrating because Carolina always seems to have our number.

But I know what you mean about the frustration. I damn near pulled my remaining hair out the first third of the season where our backline seemed to give up a post-70' goal every single match.

Looks like the club are putting their foot down with Schneiderlin and he is not happy!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/29/morgan-schneiderlin-hits-out-saints-spurs-twitter

Yeah, an enormous PR faux pas. The supporters were in meltdown before this, now they are in whatever is worse than a meltdown. :(

I can't really say I understand the supporter meltdown.
Southampton has always been a selling club. Promote academy players and then sell them.
They're in the PL, with 100mil + in the bank, and a month to go in the transfer window.
Now if the window closes with no players brought in, and the owners with a couple new yachts and rumors of money funneling out of the club, then yes, go into meltdown.
The rest of the yo-yo clubs would kill to be in their position.

I can't really say I understand the supporter meltdown.
Southampton has always been a selling club. Promote academy players and then sell them.
They're in the PL, with 100mil + in the bank, and a month to go in the transfer window.
Now if the window closes with no players brought in, and the owners with a couple new yachts and rumors of money funneling out of the club, then yes, go into meltdown.
The rest of the yo-yo clubs would kill to be in their position.

I think it's the sense that if they didn't liquidate the squad once they started becoming good we might be able to achieve more than some nice transfer business. It's kind of hard to move up the PL ladder when you effectively reset the squad to zero every few years.

I think it's the sense that if they didn't liquidate the squad once they started becoming good we might be able to achieve more than some nice transfer business. It's kind of hard to move up the PL ladder when you effectively reset the squad to zero every few years.

This is less a response directly to you, because I dare not assume you haven't already thought of all that I'm about to say. :) Its more just my general thoughts on the sell/don't sell plight of small clubs.

The thing you never know for sure is how much choice they really have. I mean, obviously the club always has the choice to sell or not. But if these players are coming to you and they have strong aspirations to play at a more prestigious club, then your choice boils down to sell them or lose them for nothing a season or two later. And even if you can talk them into staying, there's the increased salary demands that would go into keeping them.

So I totally get the supporter frustration, but there's also much more involved for southampton and the like to maintain a good team than to just not sell players.

Don't you think that's just a product of being a mid-table club in modern football? You have some decent players on relatively low wages, the big clubs are going to buy them.

Lukaku is going to Everton for good what a steal.

And as one article I read pointed out, the second highest transfer fee ever paid by a Merseyside club, second only to Andy Carroll. Which reminded me of just how relatively cheaply Liverpool got Suarez.

And as one article I read pointed out, the second highest transfer fee ever paid by a Merseyside club, second only to Andy Carroll. Which reminded me of just how relatively cheaply Liverpool got Suarez.

Such a deal and he was there only striker for like half a season because liverpool was to cheap to spend 7 million for dempsey

Kind of like when Man U got Ronaldo for 15M Euros he won them many trophies and then they sold him for 94M Euros

Such a deal and he was there only striker for like half a season because liverpool was to cheap to spend 7 million for dempsey

Them not getting Dempsey didn't make too much sense. I mean I guess they made their bed with Carroll and wanted to exhaust all options. In reality they could have for the same fee as Carroll gotten say Dzeko or Darren Bent and added say Dempsey as depth.

What's happened to Toronto. DCU schooled them, it seemed to me that the problems were front to back. The folks up front couldn't finish, the folks behind could provide good service to those up front - and obviously there were defense troubles. I had high hopes for that team.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am sorry if I missed it, but is there a fantasy league up again?

Sent from tropical Finland

Back