To people with sodastreams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cncquinn

Reaction score
Know, this is a beer forum and has nothing to do with a soda stream. I was looking at a recipie for a cherry flavored beer which called for 4 oz of cherry extract. I was wondering if anyone has thought of using sodastream extract, I'm sure they have the cola taste in them, but would that taste bad in beer? Has anyone tried this or thought of it? Tell me what you think

They sell flavorings for carbonated water. No cola in those.

Btw, I don't like many of the sodastream flavours. They taste like generic no names, but worse. My wife likes them though. I use the sodastream to purge everything post fermentation. Gives me some peace of mind knowing my carboys and bottles are purged.

My buddy went out and got one of those things when they came out and I have to agree with above but they were polite. The flavors I've had to try all tasted like crap compared to even store brand cokes. Ain't no way Id suggest ruining a beer trying to use it.

Thanks for the input, now that I think about all those artificial flavors and preservatives probably would make a bad beer

Not completly on topic but when i was looking for bluk rootbeer extract i came acroass barq's root beer suryp on ebay couldnt help but wounder if that would work. But i didnt need 2.5 gallons of it

I'd go with something as natural as possible. Try lorannoils.com.

You want to find real cherry extract. The biggest problem I see with the sodastream stuff is the artificial sweetener they put in them and the fact that almost no commercial cherry flavored things are actually flavored with anything resembling real cherries.

Not only is it going to give you a fake, jolly rancher cherry flavor, but it's going to add a fake sweetness that won't be eaten up by the yeast. Don't get me wrong, I love fake cherry. Cherry kool-aid is my second favorite thing to drink, but it doesn't sound good at all in beer.

Actually, the more I think about it, you'd probably be better dumping a packet of kool-aid in there, at least it wouldn't have that diet sweetener crap in it.

If the soda-stream extract has preservatives in it it will inhibit fermentation.
Like the post above mine says,use real cherries or real cherry juice.

I wasn't sure how fake the flavoring was in sodastream. It was a thought like maybe it could work. Thanks again

Back