Bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobrew

Reaction score
I brewed a strawberry hefeweizen primed with brown sugar not long ago.
I think they were all bottled before December. I was not particularly happy with how they turned out so I sent a box home with my parents for my dad to 'enjoy' and distribute. A couple days ago my dad called me and said that a bottle had broken In the cabinet. It didn't call and it wasn't hit by anything and it's only about 70 degrees there at most and does not get very cold. The weird thing is that the bottle broke in the middle. not the neck or the top.. is that how they normally break? Hmm..

If you primed right and didn't have an infection there could have been an imperfection in the bottle. But about the part that broke, it's never happened to me. But I would think that the neck would break not the middle.

Most of the ones that have broken on me usually break close to the bottom, but I would assume breaks happen where there is the most imperfections are.

Be glad it just broke due to imperfections.

A buddy of mine had a 12oz bottle disintegrate into tiny shards of glass everywhere from being over carbed.

Back