maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ireland74

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used maple syrup for priming. if so how much would you use for a five gallon batch.

cheers Dave

I have done it on a per bottle basis, when I no longer had any other stuff sitting around, as a rule of thumb, a big squirt per bottle is too much and a little squirt is not enough.

I imagine priming with maple syrup is alot like priming with honey, which has its difficulties and requires a little fancy math.

According to John Plamer:

You can prime your beer with any fermentable that you want. Any sugar: white cane sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, even maple syrup can be used for priming. Honey is difficult to prime with because there is no standard for concentration. The gravity of honey is different jar to jar. To use honey, you will need to dilute it and measure its gravity with a hydrometer....

one cup of maple syrup & one cup water. The darker the syrup, the more the maple flavor. Dark Amber or B grade are best for maple flavor. Light or Fancy grade are a waste of good maple syrup... might as well use corn sugar

Good rule of thumb chuck....IMHO use of grade B is a waste of good Syrup...although I would not ferment any other type

Randy

I think priming with maple is mainly a novelty more than anything---in my experience, there really is no flavor gained by added maple syrup as a priming sugar.

Grade B is the stuff you want, but if youre looking for flavor, you might want to try adding it during the last 15 minutes of the boil or during secondary fermentation. And in order to impart that maple flavor, be prepared to shell out a little coin---youll need to start around a gallon (per 5 gallon batch).

I have never primed with it but I do a Maine Maple Ale every year.

YUM YUM!!

I usually add it with less than 5 minutes and add some in secondary. Grade B is good. I have had luck with B or C Amber as well. Flavor is a bit more pronounced. And, it is a darn sight cheaper.

I added some to a ginger porter as a priming sugar. The end result is, lets say interesting. The mix of the still sweet maple and distinct ginger essence give it a taste reminiscent of cola. The longer it's aging the more it's tasting like the porter I would expect it would. I used 1 to 1 ratio, cup of water, cup of syrup. Experimenting is a blast.

Back