corn sugar/dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis KilPatrick

Reaction score
is there anywhere you can buy cornsugar besides a home brew shop/home brew supply website? Can you find it at the grocery store? I looked at Costco the other day but couldn't find any. I'm about to bottle my first batch of cider from a kit and would like to quickly start a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein, I have everything but the corn sugar.

I'm not sure about regular grocery stores, but maybe some specialty ones carry it. If you google for info on where to buy, it seems like it's a popular thing at health food stores as well, if you have one close by, give them a call and see.

Travis KilPatrick said:
is there anywhere you can buy cornsugar besides a home brew shop/home brew supply website? Can you find it at the grocery store? I looked at Costco the other day but couldn't find any. I'm about to bottle my first batch of cider from a kit and would like to quickly start a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein, I have everything but the corn sugar.

A lot of people have had success using regular table sugar in this recipe. It's probably a lot less critical than it would be in a beer recipe.

If you go that route, look for extra-fine sugar, sometimes called "bartender's sugar." It will dissolve a lot easier than normal granulated.

You can use table sugar. I believe Ed noted (somewhere in the billion posts in that thread) that table will work fine, he likes the corn sugar because it is so much easier to dissolve. If you use the table sugar you might need to heat it up in ~1/2 gallon of the juice to dissolve it well.

You might look for a Whole Foods nearby you also. There's plenty of places online selling Dextrose as well. I also found that many bodybuilders use Dextrose, so you might see if GNC has it, but you're likely to pay more there.

You could try natural sugar (often marketed as "Sugar in the Raw"). It may give a little less twang to your cider than table sugar.

Also, if you find some light corn syrup without vanilla added, that'll work, too. Add about 10-20% more syrup than corn sugar to make up for the water weight.

Table sugar works well.
Acid in the apple juice works to invert common cane sugar.

I used table/cane sugar in my last two batches. I poured about a pint out of four of the gal. juice containers and added 1/2 pound back to each juice container. Shake to get the sugar off the bottom, wait a few minutes and repeat. Basicly just add roughly equal amounts of sugar to all the bottles except the last one. It disolves fine w/ just a little patience, just not as instantly as the dextrose. I think it might help if you disolve it in most of the juice (80%) not just two bottles like you can do w/ the dextrose. Also I think the cane sugar is 5-10% more fermentable so I guess you could adjust the amount if you care to.

Mike

Back