First batch tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpagan

Reaction score
Getting ready to begin tomorrow. Quick last minute question....
What is the importance of hydrometer readings?

Get ready to be hooked!

The initial OG reading will tell you a few things. First you'll see how close to the mark you came on expected OG. Second, you'll have an initial reading to compare to the final gravity. And this will tell you what the alcohol by volume (ABV) is. It's not necessary for a tasty beer. But as you get more into this hobby repeatability becomes more important and measurements help you achieve that.

Gotcha. I have a lot of equipment but don't have hydrometer. I will have to get one. But glad I don't need at the moment. The local brew supply is open tomorrow but I plan on being well into it before they open. I got an extract IPA kit. I'm ready to be hooked! Lol been thinking about doing it for a while but never truly pursued. Now I'm ready.

I say local but it's 30 min. Away. Brewing now, I have not had any major foam issue. One small initial foam but it stopped after one time off burner....is that a good sign, bad sign, or neither?

That's the hot break. Sometimes it's massive, sometimes not so much, just depends on the ingredients and the boil strength. Brew valiantly :mug:

One other thing I strained most of the hops from the fermenter. Good idea or bad? Everything else went good.

I should note strained during the transfer from kettle to fermenter...

Its good to strain the trub. I use the grain bags. Put the hops on the grain bags, knot the bag and snip it for the next time. It cuts down the filtering at the end.

For a kit or extract brew, there is really no need for an hydrometer to measure the OG. Just use what the kit says it should be, or what a recipe calculator says.

You really do need it to determine if it is done fermenting. Without a final gravity reading, you cannot tell if it has really finished.

Alright. I'll have to get one this week. It has been in the fermenter since 5:00. Just got back from dinner it is slowly bubbling. I have it covered with a large shipping blanket in the garage. When I went to check on it and pulled the blanket off. The airlock came off. I quickly re-applied it. Still ok??

Came out this morning to a pretty good sized mess. Foam all over the top. And through the airlock. Replaced it with a clean stopper and airlock. It's still foaming like crazy and seems to want to push the stopper, chips and all through the neck. Guess I'm paying for the low foam during boiling. Lol

dpagan said:
Came out this morning to a pretty good sized mess. Foam all over the top. And through the airlock. Replaced it with a clean stopper and airlock. It's still foaming like crazy and seems to want to push the stopper, chips and all through the neck. Guess I'm paying for the low foam during boiling. Lol

Dude keep an eye on the beer because if the airlock clogs your gonna cry your mother with beer on the celling of the room :) male a blow off tube and make it quick... Go on youtube and type in "blowoff tube home brew" and see what you can do, if you have a spare stopper and a hardware store close to you they your set :)

dpagan said:

Oh and rember one thing, stop opening and peeking at the beer your risk of infection is higher when you do this, set it and forget it for 3 weeks minimum with a blowoff tube "of course"

Cheers

Ok. Looks simple enough. And I have everything I need. In the bucket just put starsan and water?
I haven't opened it except to replace the one airlock. Should I take the one in it now off for a minute to release pressure or just do the Gliwice, replace and step away?

dpagan said:
Ok. Looks simple enough. And I have everything I need. In the bucket just put starsan and water?
I haven't opened it except to replace the one airlock. Should I take the one in it now off for a minute to release pressure or just do the Gliwice, replace and step away?

Prepare your blowoff rube and swap it :)

The boys chillin'.... Thank you guys for the advice. Hope it comes out splendid!

image-4039185876.jpg

dpagan said:
The boys chillin'.... Thank you guys for the advice. Hope it comes out splendid!

Good job dude just make sure the tube you set onto your airlock is fit tight....

Now the real chalenge is ste it and FORGET IT for 3 to 4 weeks all the flavors will have time to blend together and the final gravity will be there for sure, just be careful for temp changes the best is when it is stable all the time it ferments... **** the secondary fermenter just let it go for 30 days and then keg or bottle :)

The tube is tight. In fact it cracked at the top but the tube is just below it. It is not budging. Should I be concerned?

I may have to move them if the temp varies a bunch. It is in the external garage. I do have a sm. electric heater that I could put nearby that has a thermostat.

Damn the instructions only said ferment a little over a week..should I keep going as you stated?

Believe me dude ferment for 30 days and you will see the diference in quality and clearness !! I know it sucks to wait 30 days without touching or peeking but it's worth it... A lot of guys here have many techniques lile taking a gravity reading once and a while and then the reading is stable for at least 3 days then it's ready... I personaly think that every time you open the lid and take a reading your exposing the beer to infections... My technique was given to me by the guys on the forum and it works great .... It's not all to have a beer that has finished fermenting, let the flavors develope and let her clear out, and I repeat again don't secondary, you loose beer for nothing and risk infection for nothing let all the crap fall to the bottom then bottle her up without stiring the botton back up :)

dpagan said:
I may have to move them if the temp varies a bunch. It is in the external garage. I do have a sm. electric heater that I could put nearby that has a thermostat.

The best temp is 18 degrees celcius for a regular beer BE CONSTANT on the temp it's very serious, your beer will tatse like santa's anus if you fly high to low in the month of fermenting :)

Temps are most critical during initial fermentation. Not so much so when it slows down to finish up. But I like to be consistent myself. Let it sit for 3-7 days after FG is reached to clean up & setlle out clear. Then prime & package.

Excellent. I will go and see what I can rig up to keep a steady temp. Let you know what I get.

How long would you give the bottles to sit?

The brew is an IPA.

Santa's Anus...sounds like some winter brews I've had.

My IPA's are best at 4 weeks in the bottles at at least 70F. Then at least one week fridge time. Getting co2 into solution & clearing up any chill haze aren't quick processes.

dpagan said:
Excellent. I will go and see what I can rig up to keep a steady temp. Let you know what I get.

How long would you give the bottles to sit?

The brew is an IPA.

Santa's Anus...sounds like some winter brews I've had.

If your an expert brewer 30 days in bottle would be the best lol but even I can't wait that long :)

The wait is hard when you start, but just get the pipe line going. After a while you'll have a new Homebrew ready to drink every two or three weeks.

Brew-Jay said:
The wait is hard when you start, but just get the pipe line going. After a while you'll have a new Homebrew ready to drink every two or three weeks.

+1 bro

Everything has been pretty smooth with the exception of my foamover. My buddy who assisted me is sure it's going to come out like ****. lol I'm being positive and I'm the pessimist...his concern is the color. It is pretty dark at this time. Do any brews go through significant color changes from brew date to opening day?

Brew-Jay said:

+1 bro

dpagan said:
Everything has been pretty smooth with the exception of my foamover. My buddy who assisted me is sure it's going to come out like ****. lol I'm being positive and I'm the pessimist...his concern is the color. It is pretty dark at this time. Do any brews go through significant color changes from brew date to opening day?

Don't worry. Everyone in this forum has experienced a blowout. The beer will be fine. The beer will look a little darker in your fermenter than in the glass. I wouldn't expect "significant" color change but I notice a little lightening and clarity when it's all done.

dpagan said:
Not sure I understand your answer Jesse.

I was just saying that I aggreed with the previous coment, you will see this often here, people put a +1 to a quote that means the agree :)

A lot of people will tell you to "RDWAHAHB" means relax don't wory and have a homebrew :)

Ideally, you'd have the beer at about 65 degrees. If you can insulate it with a blanket or in a tub of water to help hold the temperature steady, that would be great. Temperature fluctuations can stress the yeast, causing some flavor impacts.

I have a little stick-on thermometer on all my fermenters. They are cheap, and you can tell at a glance if the beer is getting too warm or too cool.

I'm not one to keep the beer in the fermenter for a super long time like someone else mentioned, but I'd suggest keeping it there for at least two weeks.

After 10-14 days, you can take out a sample with a wine thief or sanitized turkey baster, and see if the beer is finished. It will start to clear a bit by then, and won't be so murky looking. Three days later, check the SG again, and if it's the same, the beer can be bottled.

Yooper said:
Ideally, you'd have the beer at about 65 degrees. If you can insulate it with a blanket or in a tub of water to help hold the temperature steady, that would be great. Temperature fluctuations can stress the yeast, causing some flavor impacts.

I have a little stick-on thermometer on all my fermenters. They are cheap, and you can tell at a glance if the beer is getting too warm or too cool.

I'm not one to keep the beer in the fermenter for a super long time like someone else mentioned, but I'd suggest keeping it there for at least two weeks.

After 10-14 days, you can take out a sample with a wine thief or sanitized turkey baster, and see if the beer is finished. It will start to clear a bit by then, and won't be so murky looking. Three days later, check the SG again, and if it's the same, the beer can be bottled.

You can follow Yoopers info also, she is a brewer veteran :) She helps me out all the time when in need :) You can cut down the wait to 15 days instead of 30, your final gravity should be there if you have good temp controle and brew method over all, :)

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to give you all an update on the progress. Best that I can tell without looking is it's going well. I'm going to hit the supply store tomorrow to get some thermometers. There is supposed to be a big temp drop on Wednesday night. So I'm planning on keeping watch that evening and adjust. Also looking at getting a fridge to make into a ferment chamber.

Tell you guys.....I've never been extremely patient....so this is going to be an excruciating exercise in wills.

Can't I just suck on the Blowoff tube every other day? Lol

dpagan said:
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to give you all an update on the progress. Best that I can tell without looking is it's going well. I'm going to hit the supply store tomorrow to get some thermometers. There is supposed to be a big temp drop on Wednesday night. So I'm planning on keeping watch that evening and adjust. Also looking at getting a fridge to make into a ferment chamber.

Tell you guys.....I've never been extremely patient....so this is going to be an excruciating exercise in wills.

Can't I just suck on the Blowoff tube every other day? Lol

Dude don't have to do an allnighter on wednesday lol

Back