Time Lapse fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murppie

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of my first pumpkin ale, and I think (more hope) its going well. I just transferred off some pumpkin and trub and into secondary. It was a little while ago, and now I'm starting to see a few signs of fermentation.

Most of my brews just clear up in secondary, haven't ever had it start back up. I'm ok, right?

When you say a few signs of fermentation, you are probably referring to bubbles and apparent movement in the fermenter, right? If you've hit your terminal gravity (i.e. you took several gravity readings over a period of a week to determine the gravity hasn't changed) then it probably won't ferment any more. What is most likely happening, because you said you transferred only a little while ago, is that you are simply releasing some CO2 that was in suspension in your beer from the fermentation. If you said you saw visible signs of fermentation a day later, I might think that the act of transferring could have put some more yeast back into suspension (if you got a bunch of trub into your siphon) to restart fermentation, but I don't think that is the case.

TL;DR - you're fine.

Back