Weird stuff stuck to the sides of my bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
Hey guys. So lately I have noticed that there is a film that sticks to the sides of my bottles. This is not the white speckled film that people keep mentioning floating in their bottles, this is thick and can eventually peel off into a transparent sea-weed looking flake that just floats in the beer and eventually makes its way into the glass, once poured. I have also noticed that yeast has a tendency to stick to the sides of the bottles as they condition and then chilled. I toss these bottles once discovered because the film makes the beer look very unappealing and is impossible to remove the layer of film from the inside of the bottle once emptied. Have any of you noticed this issue and been forced to deal with such a situation? This only happens with maybe 10 bottles max in a 60 bottle batch and doesn't really effect the flavor from my judgements so far. Really just baffled as to what this ridiculous layer of nasty sludgy film is that keeps attaching itself to my bottles and shying my friends away from trying any more of my brews!

***On a side note, I do give my bottles the oxy-clean soak when removing the commercial labels, and then either sanitize cycle in the dishwasher or hand-sanitize with 1-step cleaner solution when about to bottle.****

So no one has noticed a similar film sticking to the inside of their bottles? I really want to understand what I have done that creates this mess so I know how to prevent it from ever happening again... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Not an infection im guessing because the beer seems hardly effected in terms of taste and aroma when compared to the rest of the batch. I will try and post a picture but I only have my phone as a camera and it will most likely be hard to see anyway. Guess I am going to have to tackle this one on my own...

Hey Bisco. If your still out there, take a look at the post I just made in the bottling and kegging section. I've had similar experiences but with whole batches of bottles with the film you describe. Usually when I use certain yeasts. I've posted a picture, so check it out and see if its similar to your bottles.

Hey bn218, I would say that based on your picture we seem to be experiencing the same thing with our bottles/carboys. Honestly, since I have started kegging primarily, I have not noticed any film at all in my glasses which makes me assume it isnt as much an issue when kegging. However, I am about to bottle a few batches that I wish to age over the next few months for fall/winter drinking and I am curious to see if I get the same film again. All in all, this doesnt seem to effect flavor at all, but a year ago my bottles were getting to the point that this film would like break off the sides and hang in suspension and look like sea-weed floating in my beers. Looked VERY weird but all in all the flavor was unaffected. And like you said if you twist the bottle it seems to just float to the bottom like the rest of the yeast and chill out. I would definitely like some insight as to why this happens and how to avoid it/properly clean out and treat my bottles.

***On a side note, I do give my bottles the oxy-clean soak when removing the commercial labels, and then either sanitize cycle in the dishwasher or hand-sanitize with 1-step cleaner solution when about to bottle.****

yeah, bake that oxyclean on then ad a layer of 1-step to the mix.

Well since I started this thread, I swithed over to starsan for sanitizing. I still use oxy to remove labels however. What should I do then? Soak in pbw after the oxy?

as stated in my previous post that you just quoted, I have switched over to starsan for sanitizing. havent used the dishwaser in over a year. I honestly havent noticed this with my most recently bottled batches so maybe using starsan solved the problem. I just dont see how it could be the oxi-clean considering the fact that a lot of people use it to take labels off but dont have this issue.

no bottle brush. just rinse em out with hot water so that they are spotless and then I sanitize with starsan just before filling. do you think a brush is essential?

Get a bottle brush you don´t have to brush every bottle but you do have to brush some, there is a few that will built some gunk on the sides or bottom and you need to get rid of that.

good point. I have been kegging primarily for the past few months but plan to start bottling more in the coming weeks. Glad you pointed that out before I got started.

I am a little fussy (anal retentive?) I brush each bottle after a 24 hour oxy soak then into the dishwasher (no soap or drying agent) for two full cycles first no dry, second with dry. Then to clean storage covered so they cant get dust in them. Then on bottle day I soak in star-san for 5 minute and rinse in boiling water and fill and cap while bottle is still hot (not to hot to touch but pretty warm). Since I always pack my fermenters in ice for 24 hours before I bottle the beer is pretty chilled so the warm bottle helps to warm up the beer for bottle conditioning. Always have clear bottles... only infection I have had (knock on wood) was due to dirty bottles so I go the extra steps, hate ruining beer in the bottle, really does not make my day to find floaters in a nice IPA or Oatmeal Stout.

Back