Bottling a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makokiller

Reaction score
was wondering how to go about bottling a lager. I have it in the primary at 50 degrees right now, which I plan on having it in there for a least 2 weeks or so. then bring it up to 68 degrees for a couple of days. Do I put it in bottles then? or send it to the carboy for the lagering? If I put it in bottles do I then put it in the fridge at 35 degrees or do I condition it for 3 or 4 weeks at 70 degrees and then head it into the fridge to lager? This is my first lager and just need some help with this one.

I would rack it to a secondary and bulk lager it. You can lager in bottles but I would think there is a chance that one bottle might differ from another, not a lot but I think it's possible (nothing to back that up though). Also i would not wan't all the yeast that falls out of suspension in my bottle/finished product. Once your lagering process is complete go ahead and bottle and condition it as you would any other beer.

+1 to bulk lagering. After the 68 degree d-rest, rack to secondary with minimal headspace (glass preferred) and lager for a 2-3 months.

Then bottle as usual, except add a touch of fresh yeast since most will have dropped out during lagering.

You frerment in primary until almost complete then d-rest for 72hrs and then transfer to secondary Then You need to lager 1 week for every 10 points of gravity. Example OG is 1.062, FG is 1.018 you would lager this beer for at the least 4 weeks I would go for 5. No need to go two or three months unless you just want to age longer, which doesn't hurt.

Do you think that I will need to add a little yeast when I go to bottle this up? If so how much? I don't really know what my fg will be I would like to see it down to at least 1.010 or so, my OG was at 1.044. And when I do go and bottle this do I put it back in the fridge or let it sit at room temp like I do for all of my other beers?

Don't refrigerate bottled beer for at least 3 weeks. The beer won't carbonate in the refrigerator. Keep them at room temp. If your room temp is under 70F, you might let them go longer than 3 weeks.

I never refrigerate bottled beers, including lagers, until I'm ready to drink them. The refrigeration does help drop yeast out, so ideally they spend a week in the fridge before you drink.

Back