Possible to brew and move?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedubxj

Reaction score
Have a friend who is willing to teach me AG basics. He lives 2 hours away. Is it feasible to brew and pitch and drive it back home? What, if any, negative results will there be? I'd like to ferment/keg at home rather than make a 2nd four hour round trip. Thanks in advance!

Have a friend who is willing to teach me AG basics. He lives 2 hours away. Is it feasible to brew and pitch and drive it back home? What, if any, negative results will there be? I'd like to ferment/keg at home rather than make a 2nd four hour round trip. Thanks in advance!

Well, yeast like any organism don't appreciate being shaken like a rag doll for 2 hours. If your ride is fairly cozy and you can cushion the fermenter so that every bump doesn't bang it you might be okay.

If your meticulous with your sanitation you can probably finish your boil, move the wort to your container, then leave and pitch it at home. As long as it's only sitting for a couple hours you should be okay, but I'd pitch two packets of yeast just to make sure it gets a big head-start against whatever bacteria might be living in the fermenter.

1) brew it at your buddy's

2) put your wort in its fermentation chamber (bucket, carboy, keg, etc.) and seal tightly

3) drive home

4) pitch yeast when you get home

I'd do what they^ are saying, depending on your vehicle size, wrap it in like pillows or bubble wrap and take the slow road just to make sure that the yeast, if you pitch at his place, is happy, and if your using a smack pack yeast, I'd pop it a few minutes before you leave, then let it swell while you drive home, but make sure to bring some sanitizer back home and if the wort is cooling in you're car hopefully it'll be cool by the time you get back.

Good luck!

I agree about not pitching yeast at friends house and doing it home instead. A little shaking of the wort will only help with aeration.

I live in a condo. I brew every where but home. Never 2 hours away usually about 45mins but still never have a problem driving with the beer.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch on a Friday night and left the place I was staying on Sunday with the fermenter and airlock bubbling away. Put it in my seat and made sure it wasn't going anywhere. It was an hour drive home and I ended up with really good beer.

Brewnoob1 said:
I brewed a 5 gallon batch on a Friday night and left the place I was staying on Sunday with the fermenter and airlock bubbling away. Put it in my seat and made sure it wasn't going anywhere. It was an hour drive home and I ended up with really good beer.

+1
My first batch was a saturday. Left sunday. Turned out good. Still agreethough. Should wait to pitch.

I don't see any reason to wait to pitch, just add it before the drive. The agitation is just like shaking or swirling your carboy to oxygenate it and as long as the fermentation process hasnt started its all good. I've done it before and the beer turned out great.

Pitch when you get home. After all, the moment you pitch yeast, it becomes beer (and the biggest 'open container' your local police will ever see)

;)

Back