question about frozen kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgriffith

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I came home the other day to discover both my kegs in my small homemade kegerator were frozen solid and my co2 tank was empty. Could a leak in my co2 lines have caused this? Or any other guesses. I've thawed them out and refilled the tank, the fridge is holding steady at 42 or so. Now, to test all the connections and recarb. Sigh, no homebrew tonight. Thanks for anyone's help!
dg

A leak in your O2 tank wouldnot cause the keg to freeze, is that what you are asking?

The good news is beer will recover from freezing, might even be more clear. Not sure why the tank would have bled out unless the freezing affected one of the connections. This is why I don't leave gas on a carbing keg, I give them a shot daily and take it off.

I made an eisbock last year by partly freezing a keg and pressure xfer to another.... Ending up with one awesome tasting and clear beer. Note: pressure will drop as co2 gets colder.... Could have easily leaked out past an unpressurized seal....

YOu'd still have pressure from the keg keeping the seal intact. I don't think it would affect the pressure from a CO2 tank.

Back