American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I was just looking for Simcoe and couldn't find it. But the harvest just happened/is happening right? So they should be around soon I'd guess.

Guess I'll put this on the back burner til I can follow the original recipe

That's what I've been told. So hopefully simcoe will be available again shortly.

Man this stuff is delicious...I brewed it and drank all of it before I even bottled 2 other beers that were already in secondaries. I subbed cascade for simcoe. Hoping to brew the real thing here soon when simcoe reappears. FYI AHS has a notice that says it will be available Oct 7

I ordered the ingredients for the extract recipe today. Pretty excited to give it a try.

I'm getting 2oz of warrior since you can only order in 1oz increments. I'm thinking about using it all instead of just the 1.25oz of warrior the recipe calls for for bittering, would that be too over the top? I want this sucker to be hoppy. Same question for dry hopping Simcoe. Recipe only calls for 0.5oz but I'm going to have 1oz left over and am considering dry hopping with the full ounce.

One of the first batches I ever did was an IPA kit from the LHBS and it was not hoppy at all, so I want to make sure I get some hop-tastic action this time, but I don't want to go too outside the boundaries of this proven recipe so if anyone has any input on those increased hop amounts I am thinking about I would appreciate it.

Also, Northern Brewer has Simcoe pellets right now FWIW.

Thanks for the recipe, Yooper. Considering all the positive reviews in this thread, I am pretty psyched to try it out and I will be sure to come back and post how it turned out. I can almost taste it in my mouth already. If it turns out half as good as people say it does, I can see this one becoming a permanent fixture in my keezer, because I love me some 60min.

Blackbear, when I brew this as an extract I use the hop schedule from the AG version, but I am also doing a full boil too. That said I use the hops as directed during brewing, but I use the extra(since I usually get hops in 1oz or 2oz bags)hops for dry hopping it and it turns out fantastic!

IMHO - I'd follow the hop schedule during brewing as directed, and just increase the amount of hops for dry hopping if you don't want to let them go to waste. Though increasing the hops during brewing may always turn out well too(you could always try it and report back).

This is the recipe I usually use for this one
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 88.89 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (35 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs PC ROGUE Pacman (Wyeast #1764) Yeast-Ale

You can always reclose your extra hops and stick them in the freezer- they'll last a LONG time especially if you have a foodsaver and can vacuum seal them!

I plan on making the extract version of this very soon. I do full boils. Should I follow the AG hop schedule since I'm doing a full boil?

Awesome. Thanks Yooper!!! I'm ordering my ingredients this evening. Any substitute for the Simcoe? Or should I wait to get my hands on the real thing?

No, unfortunately there aren't any substitutes for simcoe. It's unique. You can use other hops of course, but it won't even be close to this recipe. The amarillo/simcoe combination is amazingly good!

Sounds good. I'll see if I can find some simcoe. If not, I know AHS will have some leaf available this friday. Thanks again Yooper!!

One more thing Yooper. I know you said to use the AG hop schedule since I'm doing a full boil. I'm using the AG hop amounts, NOT the extract amounts, right?

Just wanted to report back.

Brewed this on 8/18 with this (slightly modified) recipe, and this is the best beer I've made to date.

I haven't done a side-by-side yet, but this beer has a really nice balance of bitterness to malts, and I LOVE the simcoe/cascade combination.

Used Ringwood from a starter, which scared me a little (since I've heard Ringwood can be finicky), and ended up dry-hopping for 16 days because the gravity kept dropping, but it was well worth the patience.

Thanks Yooper!!

Was going to brew this wonderful recipe this weekend and went to Mr. Malty to calculate my starter. The Wyeast Pacman I was able to obtain had a Manufacturer's date of 06/01/11. Mr Malty's calculations state that I need a 506 billion cells for 1.070 OG. That's 13 packs and/or 5.75 Liters of starter. I know that is way out of line. Can someone point out my error. More importantly tell me how big a starter I will need to pitch. Thanks much.

Wow!!! What a great recipe. In fact, it was my first brew like 6 weeks ago. After 3 weeks in bottle, finally, I decided to open and taste one. Really great. Even by comparing side by side, I prefer this brew to the commercial version. I even thing that this recipe can stand alone by itself, not only as a "clone", for me this is the real thing. The aroma, the bitterness, the perfect balance of malt...simply delicious!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

The ingredients for this are coming in today and I am planning on brewing it tonight. I am using Nottingham and it just so happens that I also have a spare packet of Nottingham in the fridge. This will be the biggest beer I have brewed so far, most have been in the 1.040 ballpark.

Where this is a bigger beer and I just have this extra yeast that will probably go un-used otherwise, is there any harm in pitching both packets? Overkill?

Brewed this as our second batch (group of friends) of beer. First batch as a Imperial IPA kit from Brewers best. Tasted last night after 4 weeks in bottles. Pretty good - had a bitter bite to it and a very dry after taste.

Followed the extract version of the recipe. Had to substitute columbus/centenial mix for Simcoe for hop boil. Was able to get Simcoe for dry hop.

Batch is still in fermenter. OG was 1.068. Tough to get exact reading with all bubbles. Just took sample last night at 7 days and its down to 1.014 and still releasing bubbles every 15-20 seconds. Is it done?. We figured we would let sit for another 5-7 days then dry hop for a week with Simcoe and Amarillo per directions for 7 days then bottle.

Brewed this as our second batch (group of friends) of beer. First batch as a Imperial IPA kit from Brewers best. Tasted last night after 4 weeks in bottles. Pretty good - had a bitter bite to it and a very dry after taste.

Followed the extract version of the recipe. Had to substitute columbus/centenial mix for Simcoe for hop boil. Was able to get Simcoe for dry hop.

Batch is still in fermenter. OG was 1.068. Tough to get exact reading with all bubbles. Just took sample last night at 7 days and its down to 1.014 and still releasing bubbles every 15-20 seconds. Is it done?. We figured we would let sit for another 5-7 days then dry hop for a week with Simcoe and Amarillo per directions for 7 days then bottle.

It's done if you check it again in three days and it's still 1.014. If it's lower, check it again three days later. When the SG doesn't change any more, the beer is finished fermenting. I'd dryhop after the SG hasn't changed for at least three days, and the beer is clear. It might be in 7 days, but it might not be for another 14 days. Don't dryhop until 7 days before bottling!

This is still one of my favorite recipes I have brewed so far. I want to do it again but I am going to wait until I get all my AG equipment, then I will try the AG recipe. maybe I should stock up on simcoe before it's all gone

This is still one of my favorite recipes I have brewed so far. I want to do it again but I am going to wait until I get all my AG equipment, then I will try the AG recipe. maybe I should stock up on simcoe before it's all gone
Make an extract batch, then you'll have something to drink while you collect your AG equipment ... :mug:

I really want to make this again, correcting the mistakes I made last time (although the beer was still great). Just need to find the time.

Will be stepping up my Pacman starter this evening for my Sunday funday of brewing Yoopers recipe. Can't wait!! My LHBS had a good amount of Simcoe. I went ahead and bought 4 ounces since I imagine I'll be making this one again in the near future.

Didn't have simcoe when I made this, so I substituted Galena and Horizon mixed in the place of simcoe...

Flavor is nice after 30 days, with nice floral tones, but it still tastes a little hot because the fg finished at 1.004

Don't know exactly why this happened as I fermented at 68 or so (room temp).

One curiosity is that a while ago i thought that it would be a good idea and maybe work on a house yeast blend, and mixed pacman and nottingham cakes to see what would happen. Maybe this is what happened...

If I like the final beer in a few weeks, I will continue this train of thought. Otherwise, if it isn't broke, don't sub strange yeast strains, and different hops :)

Got this brewed up on Sunday along with a cream ale. Have both sitting in my spare bathtub at 61-62 degrees. The cream ale has been bubbling away since yesterday morning, but the 60 minute clone hasn't shown any signs of fermentation yet (36 hours). I know, I know..........airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. But I would feel a lot better if the blowoff tube would give me a few bubbles. I used a 2 liter stepped starter of pacman for the 60 minute clone. Was a BUNCH of yeast in my flask when I pitched so I'm sure things will be fine. Anyone have similar experiences with pacman starting off really slow?? I'll give the gravity a check tomorrow if I'm still all willy nilly about this batch.

Just kegged up the most recent batch of this last night. The Amarillo/Citra combination is excellent, and it I am extremely happy with the brew. However, I am still in agreement with Yooper on the Amarillo/Simcoe combo. My citra version is good, but nothing compared to using Simcoe.

Also just ordered up a pound of Simcoe whole hop cones that should be here in a few days, will definitely have to brew this up once I empty the current keg as I will finally have pacman and all the hops!

The cream ale has been bubbling away since yesterday morning, but the 60 minute clone hasn't shown any signs of fermentation yet (36 hours). I know, I know..........airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. But I would feel a lot better if the blowoff tube would give me a few bubbles.

I knew better, but still let the lack of bubbles from my blowoff tube give me worries. I popped the lid on the primary last night and nearly passed out from all the CO2. There was a nice white and brown foamy krausen. I replaced my blowoff tube with a 3-piece and it was bubbling away within 30 seconds. Now I just can't wait to get this baby dryhopped!!!!

I couldn't wait 14 days for dry hopping, I cut it off at twelve and kegged it last nite. Being impatient, I sampled some tonite. Really, really good. Thanks Yooper!

I couldn't wait 14 days for dry hopping, I cut it off at twelve and kegged it last nite. Being impatient, I sampled some tonite. Really, really good. Thanks Yooper!

I think you should be ok, I usually don't dry hop more than 6-8 days, and this recipe only called for 7 days of dry hopping.

Thanks for the recipe. I just brewed the extract version today. My first non kit brew.

All was well. However the continuous hopping schedule severely impacted my consumption of beer, hummus, and chips during the brew process. Lots of little containters floating around. I am pretty sure a chip ended up in the wort by accident. A hop pellet definatly ended up in my mouth during a moment of distraction.:mug:

Thanks again!

This is definitely a recipe I'm saving! Sounds and looks great!

Maybe I missed this in the 112 pages of this thread, but is there an easy way to convert the extract recipe for a full boil? I typically do around 6 gallons.

I've had a hard time learning what "boil volume" does to the beer... any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Yooper and everyone who contributed!

*EDIT* After reading the final 20 pages of this thread, I found the answer to my question above. Is it still advised to use the AG amounts for a 6 gallon boil? I'm excited about this one!

This is definitely a recipe I'm saving! Sounds and looks great!

Maybe I missed this in the 112 pages of this thread, but is there an easy way to convert the extract recipe for a full boil? I typically do around 6 gallons.

I've had a hard time learning what "boil volume" does to the beer... any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Yooper and everyone who contributed!

*EDIT* After reading the final 20 pages of this thread, I found the answer to my question above. Is it still advised to use the AG amounts for a 6 gallon boil? I'm excited about this one!

Yes, just follow the AG amounts for a full boil and it'll turn out great!

Back