Proteins in wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I tried brewing a light beer for the upcoming hot days and had a few questions about what I saw.

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

The first picture is just before the boil, lots of clumps floating around, I figured these would dissolve in during the boil. The 2nd pic is the sample I drew right before I pitched the yeast. You can still see a lot of the clumps that had fallen towards the bottom. I haven't seen my wort do this yet, and the sample I took was very clear and that happened very fast. Can anyone help explain what I am seeing here?

that looks like an extreemley light beer. what was the og on that? it looks like protien coagulates, but i may be wrong. how did you chill your wort?

To me that looks perfectly normal. All that looks just like break marital. Hot and Cold break (protien) Run a search for Cold Break, theirs alot of info in the topic

that looks like an extreemley light beer. what was the og on that? it looks like protien coagulates, but i may be wrong. how did you chill your wort?

It was meant to be a light beer, I used liquid pale malt extract and the OG was 1.045. I chilled it in an ice and water bath, I don't have a chiller

To me that looks perfectly normal. All that looks just like break marital. Hot and Cold break (protien) Run a search for Cold Break, theirs alot of info in the topic

Good, maybe I'm on my way to the clearest beer I've yet to brew!

I would like another opinion and didnt want to start a new thread so I will just put it here. This beer was supposed to have a very low OG, 1.030. It also calls for amylase in the secondary to dry it out, (1.000 to 1.0004) to make it taste more like a light lager. However, my OG was 1.045, much higher than the recipe I based this on. Adding the enzyme could bring my beer down to 1.000, which would be close to 6%. Should I skip the amylase this time and make more of a blonde ale?

I wouldn't worry about adding amylase enzyme or anything yet. Just let it go for 2-3 weeks and check the gravity/taste a sample before making a decision.

What kind of yeast did you pitch?

I wouldn't worry about adding amylase enzyme or anything yet. Just let it go for 2-3 weeks and check the gravity/taste a sample before making a decision.

What kind of yeast did you pitch?

US-05. If I had made the beer closer to the recipe, I would have tried the amylase, but being that much higher, I'm thinking I probably won't. I will probably end up doing a batch with, and a batch without, just to see how I like the difference.

Back