Original Gravity (OG) way too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I am only posting this for informational purposes in case someone makes the same mistake I did.

I was in utter shambles about an hour ago. I did my first extract brew (the AHS Bass clone) and followed the instructions to the letter! The OG for this kit is supposed to come in around 1051. When I took my hydrometer reading for my OG, I came in at a whopping 1034. :(

I paniced and tried the usual tricks...put the tube in the freezer to get the temp down to 60F...shake the tube violently to de-gas it...etc. I think I may have gained another 2 points...that is it.

So what did I do next. I came here and searched for "low gravity". Thank God I found this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gravity-reading-off-183395/

More specifically this...

"Most of the time if your gravity reading is off in an extract kit you didn't fully combine your wort and top off water."​
That is exactly what happened to me. I just took another reading after I had pitched the yeast (i know this is a no-no but it was within 5 minutes after) and I now have a happy old reading of 1051...dead on!!! :)

Ahhhh..now I will be able to sleep!

Anyway, just wanted this is be more easily found by anyone in the future who has the same issue.

John

That's encouraging...tonight's pumpkin ale extract kit says OG 1.058. Hydro reading from my bucketed batch...1.020. I guess I'll have to wait it out and see what happens, hopefully it's just a mixing issue.

Sure - unless you stir, the heavy stuff will stay at the bottom and your hydrometer will ride in the thin water at the top.

The issue I ran into is that I followed the kit instructions too closely. Here is the exceprt regarding topping off and taking the hydro reading:

"Once the wort has cooled to 80F, pour the mixture into the sanitized primary fermenter and add cool water to make 5 1/4 gallons. Check the specific gravity of the wort using a hydrometer."

A beginner like me is going to do exactly what we are told. The issue is that the instructions do not say to thoroughly mix the wort and top-off water via aggitation or some other means. It just says top off and take a reading.

Since I aggitated when I added the yeast, that is when I took my second reading and I hit the gravity on the nose.

John

Chances are no matter how well you mix it you will not get a true reading. I don't know why it is but that seems to be the case. That said if you are using extract, anf your final volume is what is stated on the recipe, you are almost always dead on the OG. You can shake the living snot out of a bucket or carboy, and still be off.

On a positive note, my pumkin ale is bubbling furiously. It took less than 12 hours to get really going. Here's hoping it will rock :rockin:

Good luck brother! I just pit my first ever beer brew together, gravity reading came out about 10 points under and I was worried. Glad I saw this thread. It's under airlock and I'm hoping for the best. I got the Houblon Monster Triple IPA from Northern Brewer, hope it works out for you and me...

Mike

Latest posts

Back