Moving to the secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdamage1

Reaction score
I have a primary that has a spigot on the front, is it OK to just open it up and pour into the Glass secondary or do I need to use the racking kit? Any other tips I need to know?

Thanks!!
Kelly

It's fine, as long as...

1. The spigot is high enough up the side that the sediment stays behind in the primary (it probably is).

and

2. You attach a siphon hose to the spigot so that you are not splashing (and therefore aerating) the beer.

If the yeast cake is higher then the drain just run off into a bucket until it is clear. Sanitize a hose that is long enough to reach the bottom of your secondary fermenter to prevent splashing.

Actually, Willilams sells a primary that has a spigot, and the spigot is high enough to stay off most yeast cakes. It also has an invert tube so that sediment doesn't settle in the spigot itself. It makes racking very easy.

Thanks Guys, Everything went well. The cake on the bottom is some pretty yucky stuff. Unfortunately my wife saw it and I'm certain she won't be having any when all is said and done. :p Too bad for her!

Kelly

I started with the Williams kit and both the bottling bucket & fermenter have spigots. I think the only difference is the label. If you look closely, you might be able to rotate the inside portion to ensure it is above the trub.

I just attach a hose and run it into the keg.

Not sure if it's available "over there" but you can get a float that attaches via a tube so that the brew is pulled from just below the surface rather than the bottom of the bucket.

Back