S-23 -vs- W-34?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
How does W-34 compare to S-23 for lagers?

I use S-23 quite a bit. Now that the prices have changed, W-34 costs about the same, and I am wondering if I should try it.

W 34/70 is my favorite dry yeast, period. I have never been happy with the results of S-23, but I can't tell the difference between 34/70 and it's liquid counterpart.

I've a few packages of this yeast to try with my next lager. Hope it is all it's cracked up to be, building a liquid lager starter for 10 gallons is hellish.

I've not used S-23, but I've read more mixed results with S-23 than with W-34/70. I've used W-34/70 several times and as with Tonedef, I can't tell the difference between W-34/70 and WLP830. It's a great yeast... just pitch 2 packs per ~5 gallons, rehydrated, and cold (beer and yeast slurry @~50°F) and you can't go wrong.

It's a great yeast... just pitch 2 packs per ~5 gallons, rehydrated, and cold (beer and yeast slurry @~50°F) and you can't go wrong.
I've been thinking about rehydrating lager yeast and I have been wondering what the best way to go about it would be. Do you just rehydrate as normal in 104F water morning of then chill it down before pitching? Or do you actually rehydrate in 50F water?

I've been thinking about rehydrating lager yeast and I have been wondering what the best way to go about it would be. Do you just rehydrate as normal in 104F water morning of then chill it down before pitching? Or do you actually rehydrate in 50F water?

I follow the instructions on Fermentis' website. I chill the wort to ~50°F. I also chill the yeast slurry back down with the aid of the refrigerator... but not too fast... Fermentis recommends letting the rehydrated yeast cool slowly.

Back