Pickled eggs--recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made these for my home brew club.... I needed to make some kind of food item with beer. (Competition....) So I substituted Sam Adams Black Lager for the water in the recipe!

I gonna dub these as Schwartz-Fartz Starters! :rockin:

Eggs_002.jpg

12 peeled hard-boiled eggs
1 tbsp salt
2 c white vinegar
1 c water
1 tbsp pickling spices

Boil and cool everything that's not eggs, put the eggs in and let sit for at least 24 hours, Enjoy!

They are really simple and yummy. sometimes I put crushed pepper flakes in them to give them a bit of a kick.

How much crushed pepper flakes... i like my stuff spicy but not so hot I can't eat it. I was thinking about 2 teaspoons, maybe a table spoon for a batch. Think I will make these after I brew on Saturday.

:off:

My pops used to have a beer fart recipe that included a 6 pack, hot mammas, pickled eggs soaked in the hot mamma juice, and popcorn.

Good to scare the kids, bu tdon't roam to far from home :p

How much crushed pepper flakes... i like my stuff spicy but not so hot I can't eat it. I was thinking about 2 teaspoons, maybe a table spoon for a batch. Think I will make these after I brew on Saturday.

I just made some with 1.5 tsp red pepper flake.... I will report back if I remember :ban:

I made some eggs the other day after reading this thread, I also threw in a beetroot on top of the eggs, as I happened to have cooked one too many for the salad we were having.
I'll report back when I've tried them in a few days.

Tried these already today and they're really good, only on since Sunday.
They're a bit purple from the beetroot and the beetroot is a little bit eggy, but it's all good and they're both very tasty.

1 (15 ounce) can beets
1 onion, thinly sliced
12 hard cooked eggs, shelled and left whole
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vinegar

DIRECTIONS
1. Drain liquid from the beets into saucepan. Place beets, onions, and eggs into a large bowl or pitcher.
2. Pour sugar and vinegar into the saucepan with the beet liquid and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and let the mixture simmer 15 minutes.
3. Pour the beet juice mixture over the beets, eggs, and onions. Seal the bowl or pitcher and refrigerate. Refrigerate for at least one to 3 days; the longer they are allowed to sit the better they will taste.

I didn't read the entire post (sorry if someone has posting something similar.)but i have made some of these that are killer

make a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water approx 2 cups of each

cut 5- 10 jalapenos and add to vinegar
add 1 Tb black pepper corn
1 small onion. cut in large pieces.

bring to a boil and then turn off heat.

put as many hard boiled eggs that you can fit in a mason jar /jars

top off with the vinegar juice you made and poke as many of the jalapenos and onions /pepper corns , that u can fit inside the jar / s.

boil the full canning jars with lids on for 20 min or pressure cook them to sterilize and process them.

they should keep in the pantry at room temp for a long time if your worried keep them in the fridge.

wait atleast 1 month before eating.

the last batch i made got eaten so fast i didn't even get one ... it was a 2 dozen batch -

im going to have to try some of your recipes for the red eggs sounds good (don't have time to read it all right now) - but all your beer recipes have came out great so im sure you all can cook as well :)

3 Dozen Eggs 1/2 Onion Sliced 1/2 bulb Garlic 10 to 12 Pickled Jalapenos 6 cup Cider Vinegar 2 cup Water 8 T Dark Brown Sugar 4 T Pickling Spice 8 T Liquid Smoke 8 T Pickling Spice Hard Boil eggs then peel and set aside Mix ingredients,bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins. Pour over eggs Refrigerate 3 weeks to season I personally use 1 to 2 T of liquid smoke

12 peeled hard-boiled eggs
1 tbsp salt
2 c white vinegar
1 c water
1 tbsp pickling spices

Boil and cool everything that's not eggs, put the eggs in and let sit for at least 24 hours, Enjoy!

They are really simple and yummy. sometimes I put crushed pepper flakes in them to give them a bit of a kick.

res this thread again i guess.

made these tonight with a jalapeno pepper and a teaspoon of red pepper flake.. can't wait to try them.

The recipe will make 3 dozen eggs:

3 dozen hardboiled eggs (cook and have shelled)

in a large pot, put in the following:
1 quart distilled white vinegar
1 sliced onion
1 Tablespoon mustard seed
1 Tablespoon Dill seed
1 Tablespoon black pepper corns
1 Tablespoon celery seed
a few dashes of red pepper flakes
6 cloves of garlic
2 16oz. jars of jalapenos with the juices.

Boil the ingredients in the pot for 15 minutes. While cooking place the shelled eggs into glass jars, when the mixture is done boiling, pour into the jars over the eggs, if there is not enough vinegar mixture to fill the jars, add some hot water. Then place the tops on, and put in the refrigerator for 7 days so they can absorb the flavors.

these are really good, nice and spicy. the onion is optional IMO it gets soggy.
:mug:

This is probably the best Pickled Eggs I ever had...at a bar in Long Beach called Joe Jost's...they serve them with pretzel sticks and pepper the eggs when served...

Here is a write up about the bar...recipe below...they serve their beer at 29F in schooners...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2010/09/best_pickled_eggs_joe_josts.php

Joe Jost’s Pickled Eggs

8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 (12 ounce) jar yellow chili peppers
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 scant cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients except eggs together in a glass jar with tight-fitting lid. Put peeled eggs in liquid. Don't refrigerate.

Keep eggs in sealed jar at least two days before using.

May refrigerate after two days. The marinade may be used several times; just add more egg

This time I made dozen with 1.5 heads of crushed garlic and a teaspoon red pepper flakes.

All orfices will be out gassing by Thursday. LOL

BTW - I Fricken Love Garlic.....:D

Old family friend trained bird dogs and raised quail to use when working the dogs.....had buckets of quail eggs.

His aunt would mix up a brine...vinigar salt spices....she rinsed the eggs off and packed in quart jars (raw) and canned them. Canning also boiled the eggs at the same time. After setting a few weeks? Months? The vinigar softened the shells and you could just squeeze them like a grape and the egg popped out of the soft shell like a grape.

Awesome good....hot and spicy....some crackers and rat cheese was added to make a deer camp meal. Yes....the camp house smelled awful....these are farts that smell so bad it wakes you up.....I remember sleeping the truck one night!!

Awesome good....hot and spicy....some crackers and rat cheese was added to make a deer camp meal. Yes....the camp house smelled awful....these are farts that smell so bad it wakes you up.....I remember sleeping the truck one night!!

I've made some for friends only to find out the wives were pissed at me. They kicked their hubbies out of bed. I'm like, haha. Let the wives eat 'em

I didn't read all 14 pages of this thread so my apologies if someone already said this, but my grandmother used to hardboil eggs then just toss them in a jar with a can of pickled beets for a few days. Purple pickled eggs.

Ha ha. Pickled eggs never die! I most always make beet pickled eggs. Love em that way.I have made them with the penrose sausage recipe found on here.Pretty good that way too.

HOLY Thread revival Batman!

YEAH MAN!

Cheers
Jay
images

But truly, this is an awesome necro!!

Ha ha. Pickled eggs never die!

No they dont! And good timing I just pickled my first batches of chicken and quail eggs over the last couple days.

Going to be pouring over the pages here for a while to find some recipe ideas. :mug::rockin:

Now I'm a noob, didn't boil the jars after sealing and it's been a couple days. (though the brine was put in hot)

Can I just go back and boil them now or should I just fridge them and eat like you know... for science?

EDIT: Meh, I definitely plan on making more and soon.... if I eat now it will give me an excuse to perfect my *cough "technique". :p

This is probably the best Pickled Eggs I ever had...at a bar in Long Beach called Joe Jost's...they serve them with pretzel sticks and pepper the eggs when served...

Here is a write up about the bar...recipe below...they serve their beer at 29F in schooners...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2010/09/best_pickled_eggs_joe_josts.php

Joe Jost’s Pickled Eggs

8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 (12 ounce) jar yellow chili peppers
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 scant cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients except eggs together in a glass jar with tight-fitting lid. Put peeled eggs in liquid. Don't refrigerate.

Keep eggs in sealed jar at least two days before using.

Does this need a blow-off??? :D

Just this past weekend I made up some pickled quail eggs, garlic, and shallots.

Didn't even really measure anything, just toss stuff in :p

The brine to boil:
2 cups white vinegar
1/2-ish cup of water
red wine vinegar (just poured some in until the colour changed)
~6-8 garlic cloves
~1/2-ish tsp pickling salt
~1/2-ish tbsp white table sugar

Brought to a boil, stirred, and cooled for about 15 minutes.

In jars:
boiled and peeled eggs
sliced white onion
1/4 tsp of pickling spice per jar
1/4 tsp coriander seeds per jar
a pinch of dried rosemarie per jar (I luvs me some rosemarie)
red chili flakes

Then water bath boil time.

should the jar go in the fridge or on the counter top while getting pickled?

You mean after you've filled it and sealed it?

If you're not boiling the sealed jars: Fridge

If you ARE boiling the sealed jars: counter, closet, pantry, underwear drawer, anywhere really.

The hot water bath for 10-15 minutes after putting the lid on them creates the seal and pasturizes the contents for a longer shelf life.

Just be sure to leave the lid a bit loose when boiling, air needs to escape for the seal to occur afterward during the cooldown.

Simple easy good eggs
How ever many eggs that fit in your jar.
Add straight Louisiana Pepper sauce until eggs are covered. Place lid and store in cool place until ready. They don't take very long and will pickle faster if poked with a tooth pick some of the best I have tried.

I've been doing mine pretty simple and people love em... 12 hard boiled eggs, white vinegar (not sure how many cups maybe 2?) combine with some water (I do 3 vinegar to 1 water) and boil with about 1/2 cup sugar or more and some pickling salt. Then put eggs in half gallon mason jar, pour hot liquid on add small can of beets and let it sit overnight on the counter and then put in the fridge for about a week. I've done it with habaneros/jalapenos too minus the beets, just butterflying the habaneros, rings on the jalapenos and putting them in, people really like those a lot as well. The best though is taking the beet ones and doing those up as deviled eggs.

10923090_10152628865502883_354558716_o.jpg

10834631_10152534200602883_2069857953_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back