MMORPG's - Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Just seeing if anyone here plays mmo's by chance? My Wife and I both are into them and have played for many years. Started playing Age of Conan last week and its been pretty fun. We also have a guild up and going for the fall release (hopefully) of Warhammer Online.

The Age of Conan guild we joined,

http://www.evcitadel.com

And my personal Warhammer guild,

http://www.guildvanaheim.com/

My wifes an officer for EV and can recruit you if your interested, also everyone is welcome to join up on Vanaheim if you need a home for it still. :mug:

In any event I would like to see who else has a second addiction away from HB!

I got an orc in World of Warcraft. It's kind of addicting. I got my own Teamspeak server running, and generally check in most evenings to see who's on. I got about 5-6 friends who are regulars and we quest and instance together.

It's hard to balance things I need to do around the house, plus other hobbies with WoW, so I am not progressing in levels very quickly. Now we got a darn remodeling project going on.

I want to try out AoC. Looks like it has some nice new and differnt features. Waiting for Warhammer in the fall, but trying for Open Beta. If it is anything like Dark Age of Camelot it should do very well. Finally canceled my WoW account this past weekend.

I was on Guild Wars for awhile, but found the freebies more fun...

I found Tale of Pirates, a fun little cartoony MMORG, very fun and addictive.

I've been looking for a good game to get involved with here and there.

I used to play www.tibia.com a lot, but don't get on quite as much anymore. It is fairly old(think about WoW from 10 years ago), but pretty fun and real addicting.

I play LOTRO every now and then, and used to play WoW until I got caught up in raiding hell.

never again will I play an MMO

started out with UO in the late 90s. Then went to WoW for some time when it first came out. Yea Maybe when Im in the nursing home later on in life and have nothing better to do ill join up with whatever is out at that time.

I did the WoW thing for several years. I haven't touched it in over 9 months now. I spent way to much time with that game. I'm curious to see how warhammer turns out but don't think I will allow myself to get tied up in another MMO again.

Star Wars Galaxies is what got both of us hooked. Until the game was destroyed, but we had our sights set in on Everquest 2 and made the jump. I had a few level 30's in WOW but always ended up going back into EQ2. Also played Guild Wars, LOTRO for awhile. I really like Conan so far, nothing like naked women and heads popping off! :mug:

Warhammer is looking good, I hope it lives up to all the hype. I agree though, these games can take over your life.

I am designing a MMORPG where people cook, bake and make beer. There are levels of cooking prowess and taste testers, I expect this one to take off and fly off of the shelves once I find someone to release it.

I am designing a MMORPG where people cook, bake and make beer. There are levels of cooking prowess and taste testers, I expect this one to take off and fly off of the shelves once I find someone to release it.

The funny thing is that you can do most of those things in MMORPGs now and you have to work on the skills to improve. Brewing is quite popular

I play WoW and want to play Age of Conan but the system requirements are a bit steep for me.

I think system requirements hurt alot of MMO's since WoW could run on any machine. I'm upgrading to a QX9650 this weekend to try out AoC. Looks like they toned down the graphics in Warhammer a little, but I prefer gameplay over graphics. I will not be spending as much time playing AoC or Warhammer as I did EQ and WoW, because too much stuff going on till the end of the year.

The funny thing is that you can do most of those things in MMORPGs now and you have to work on the skills to improve. Brewing is quite popular

I took up provisioner in EQ2 just so I could make beer. :rockin:

Wow's specs are pretty low, and the graphics aren't great by today's standards, but they don't really need to be. The game is fun, and still looks pretty good if you can afford to turn up the eye candy on your machine.

I have not tried any other MMORPGs to see what they are like. I can only afford one online habit at a time!

I started out with EQ for a couple years, then moved to DAoC for a while, the SWG, then AO, then EQ2, then Lineage2, the Guild Wars, finally WoW.. and I can say they will consume you if you let them. Ive been free of WoW now for about 6 months and although I want to play.. i cant just do the casual thing .. 30 minutes a day gets you absolutely nowhere.

I failed out of College because I spent too much time with EQ and DAoC.. i played all night and slept all day.. yeah i know its my fault but when it comes to those games i have absolutely no willpower at all.

Now all i do is obsess over beer stuff.

You are right about not getting anywhere in .5 hour a day, but I see WoW as a long journey. While my friends are runnign around with lvl70+ characters, along side their several other chars, I'm happily playing a couple of hours a couple of times a week. It might take 2-3 weeks to level my engineer, but I understand that my real life is mroe important (and as much fun usually).

I have seen others get hooked too badly. Staying up way too late. Feelign like crap every day from that and eating too much junk. I dont' even want to look into raid parties when I get that high up! Looks like epic playing to me!

You are right about not getting anywhere in .5 hour a day, but I see WoW as a long journey. While my friends are runnign around with lvl70+ characters, along side their several other chars, I'm happily playing a couple of hours a couple of times a week. It might take 2-3 weeks to level my engineer, but I understand that my real life is mroe important (and as much fun usually).

I have seen others get hooked too badly. Staying up way too late. Feelign like crap every day from that and eating too much junk. I dont' even want to look into raid parties when I get that high up! Looks like epic playing to me!

Like with anything moderation is the key. I know how it feels though staying up and playing like crazy to keep up with your mates. My wife has much more time then I and right now is at level 36 and I am level 20 and we started the same day, so I am also a more casual player and just try to enjoy it.

Yeah, my friends quested like crazy and left me behind, but they eventually got to lvl 70 so they created new characters to play in my area. They got a new experience with different class and professions, and I get to play with others too. And, sometimes they bring their big guys out to quest with me, so I can go to areas normally too big for me.

My chars name is Fartknocker. I've gotten lots of comments about how cool that is, but I dont' understand why. It just popped into my head, and I used it. I think it makes a good Orc name.

I played EQ, EQ2 and NWN. I tend to get way too sucked in and spend WAY too much time playing until I get burned out. The problem is that you tend to meet people you enjoy playing with and you have to keep up in order to hang with them.

For a while, we had a group that played once a week with characters that we never used except with that group of players. It worked great for a while, but eventually fell apart. If I were ever to play a MMORPG again, I'd do it that way.

Endgame raiding was rough for us because we all could not be on at the same times. I began to PvP more, but battlegrounds were frustrating after a while in my battelgroups. People decked out in S3 arena getting pwned by S1 & S2 and all the losing sucked. Arena was better, but timing became an issue again.

Shadowbane
then it was Star Wars Galaxies
then beta tested Horizons
then played Final Fantasy XI
then I went to WoW
beta'd Vanguard
now i'm back to Final Fantasy XI again. had to start over from scratch cuz i quit for too long, but have found all my old friends who still play.

LOL. I still play StarCraft with some friends online. Isn't that dorky?

But the graphics kick ass compared to.... uh... well, I guess nothing, really :) But I love it.

But the graphics kick ass compared to.... uh... well, I guess nothing, really :) But I love it.

I LOVED playing that game! I think I still have it somewhere. Zerg baby! Gotta love em!!

Haha, why would you play anything other than Zerg?? That's my race, biotch!

Wow, I'm glad someone else had heard of that game...

My brother was a Protoss fan, so we had some epic battles back in the dial-up days. That was really one of the first good games I was able to play against a live opponent over the internet.

I love that game, I think I still have the disks. Now that I think of it, I might just load it back up and play some more. :)

Apparently I'm the only one here, but I spent many many hours of my unemployed and girlfriend-less life playing Rubies of Eventide. I would have stuck with it for a while but I don't think that the game has been updated much since I first played it many years ago, and got tired of doing the same thing over and over again....

Final Fantasy XI

Ditto, i've got a char and a mule character

Inigo (Bastok)is the main and Smellymule (Windurst) is the mule.

I'm on Remora. Game is really addicting but as of late COD4 on XBOX Live has been taking up a bunch of time.... But i'll be playing friday night.

Lord of the rings online!!!!!the best hands down. You can get drunk, brew, grow tobacco, and smoke it!!!!!You can make weapons, armor, oh yeah, and get drunk! lol

Has anyone found a good free one where you just buy the game.. not Guild Wars.. i didnt like that one. I seen some free download ones but you have to pay for in game currency to buy items. Can anyone tell me about that style mmo? I would like to play one in my free time when SWMBO is asleep, but if i put it on my card she will know.

Well, I think you guys have adequately scared me off of MMORPG. Between work and MSPHR (massively single player home renovations), the last thing I need is yet another huge time commitment. I've been a fantasy novel fan for about 25 years and love the genre. I can see myself getting submerged in something like that. I think I'll just stay married for now.

Well, I think you guys have adequately scared me off of MMORPG. Between work and MSPHR (massively single player home renovations), the last thing I need is yet another huge time commitment. I've been a fantasy novel fan for about 25 years and love the genre. I can see myself getting submerged in something like that. I think I'll just stay married for now.

lol, I completely agree. Its a huge time killer, with kids a home project myself (basement) a new baby on the way, and my brewing obession its hard to find time for everything. I just figure handling real life is better for me, so gaming has moved way down on my priority list.

What fantasy novels are you a fan of? Wife and I always like the Dragon Lance series.

Back