opinions on this kettle please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
I still brew in my kitchen on the stove. Its a gas stove and I can do up to about 7.5 gallons no problem. That being said, I am looking to get a new economical kettle. I don't want to spend a lot right now since hopefully when I move I will get a whole brewing system and not be kitchen brewing anymore. I never brew more than 6 gallon batches at a time.

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/polar...-ball-valve-torpedo-screen-probe-thermometer/

Well, IMO, it has a few things you don't need and doesn't have some things that would be of use.

Don't need:
Thermometer
Torpedo screen

Better off having:
3 piece Stainless ball valve (you can take it apart, while still on the kettle to give it a complete cleaning).
Dip tube inside.

If you have some tools (good drill and step bit) you can make your own kettle and save at least a few dollars. You could even use an aluminum pot as the base (get it from a restaurant supply place to save a good amount) and build it in steps. Start off with a ball valve and dip tube. IMO, a dip is FAR more useful than the torpedo screen. You can then add other things as you find you actually could use them. Such as sight tube/glass, thermometer (I don't have them installed on my MLT or BK and don't plan on installing one in my HLT), etc.

+1 to what Golddiggie said, I started with an aluminum pot before I built my keggle, I have a dip tube in it and am glad I do, no tipping or leaning the pot to get out what I need. I have a sight glass with a thermometer from Brew Hardware and love it, it is a really nice piece. All of what I put on my keggle you can put on a 10 gallon aluminum pot.

That kettle is 24 or 26 gauge stainless which is very thin. I personally wouldn't recommend that. If you're on a big budget buy aluminum; it's the cheapest option out there. Make sure you build an oxide layer on the aluminum first.

I definitely would prefer SS. Basically I am looking for a stepping stone kettle. I am hoping to get a kettle screen instead of a FB since I am going with the 10 gallon as opposed to 15 gallon. Can kettle screens be used with Spike Pots? I don't know rules for vendors, so private message me if you aren't allowed to "push" your products in a thread.

We don't follow rules :ban:

Any standard 1/2" NPT fitting will screen directly into the fitting welded in the kettle. Something like a Bazooka screen is commonly used.

-Ben

Back