Is there a book "All Grain brewing for Dummies"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
The title about says it all. I have been brewing now for a year with kits and have made 4 of my own style beers which I still make now and store till season (3 months conditioning). What I want to know is there a book or some thing online that will tell me what I need and how to make the transition from extract to all grain brewing? I just want to make that next step.

Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing and/or Palmer's How To Brew are both very straightforward and you don't need to be an expert to understand it. It's not a "...for Dummies" or "Idiot's Guide to...", but if you know how to extract brew, AG isn't a huge step in terms of difficulty. Just a few more variables and steps, but you don't need a dummies book for that.

I think you answered my question, I have one of those, but used it more for referance then a true read. Guess I will spend some time really reading over it in the next few days.

Forget Papazian. Papazian's the father of the homebrewing movement, but his book is dated and much less practical. Drop the $15 for the latest edition of "How To Brew." It's simple, and will teach you everything you need to know about the AG process, how to build the equipment, everything you need.

"How to Brew" is great...but there IS also a "Homebrewing for Dummies" which is underrated and not mentioned nearly enough on this forum. IMHO, it'll give you everything you need. You can also check out the "Wiki" here at HBT....it'll probably give you all the info you need, and then some.

ScubaSteve said:
"How to Brew" is great...but there IS also a "Homebrewing for Dummies" which is underrated and not mentioned nearly enough on this forum. IMHO, it'll give you everything you need. You can also check out the "Wiki" here at HBT....it'll probably give you all the info you need, and then some.

I have the Homebrewing For Dummies book, I bought it before brewing my first batch. It's not terrible, but you outgrow it quickly and it has very little on AG brewing. Palmer's just as user-friendly, and you'll keep referring to it essentially forever.

+1 for the latest edition of Palmer's book. Despite a lot of typographical errors (the publishing was horrible), it is the only comprehensive and current homebrewing book out there. John has even updated the book with details on batch sparging, cooler MLT conversion, SS braids, etc. He also does the best job of explaining mashing, temps, pH, water, etc., IMHO. I have a copy of CP's book, too, and it is a good book.

I have read the 'For Dummies' homebrewing book and wasn't nearly as impressed. I also found it to be lacking on the AG side (need a more advanced book for that), and I also found some factual errors/bad advice in it (can't remember what they were off the top of my head - sorry). I wouldn't recommend that one highly.

I love the Palmer book - I still look up stuff in there every once in a while. It's a great resource at any stage in the game.

I don't know anything about it, but this came up during my own search for AG info:

Basic Brewing: Stepping into All Grain. It's a DVD, so you can't have it sitting next to you with notes scribbled in the margins when you make your first attempt. On the other hand actually seeing what is involved might be even more helpful.

There is also Advanced All Grain Brewing, another DVD.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back