Floating trub??? worry???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zdriver

Reaction score
Ok.. so I did my second all grain batch.. and for the second time the trub floats? At first I thought I might have an infection on the first batch, but it tasted great with no off flavors....

Here is my second batch of a Blonde ale at three weeks... and more floating trub... what gives is this normal?

2012-06-13_15-02-15_976.jpg

2012-06-13_15-01-38_144.jpg

I've found that my trub with ag was always more than with extracts. For whatever reason. If you secondary it won't be an issue. I always secondary.

Do you use lots of irish moss? I find when using irish moss this happens, more so when i use extra. It usually never drops out & the beers taste fine. Sometimes it's extra chunky looking. I don't use anything other than irish moss so i'm curious if whirlfloc would be different.

Yeah, it could also be chunks of yeast floating up, although the fact that it looks like egg drop soup makes me think its definitely protein. Either way, CO2 will accumulate on it at the bottom, and pretty soon enough of a bubble gets attached that it all floats up to the top. You could secondary or just siphon out from under it. A cold crash also might rush it down to the bottom if you've got the capability for it.

Latest posts

Back