Can someone help in converting this to extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleuChien

Reaction score
Coconut Milk Stout
10lbs 2 Row Base
2lbs Crystal 50L
1lb Chocolate
0.5lb Black Patent
0.75lb Flaked Oats
0.75lbs Flaked Wheat

1lb Lactose (last 5 min of boil)

0.75oz Challenger Hops (90 min)
0.75oz Kent Goldings Hops (15 min)

2 lbs of unsweetened flaked coconut on flameout

Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

How much grain can you mash - To make it easy you could use 6.6lbs of Light LME and not use the 2-row. The other grains can be steeped I believe.

Careful with the Lactose with Lactose intolerant people convulsing on your beer (never a good selling point).

That's alot of specialty grains. Do you have a way to steep that many specialty grains, or where you hoping to not use all of them?
Yea, I can definitly steep. I was wanting to use as much as possible, but didnt want to have to sparge or get in to deep.
How much grain can you mash - To make it easy you could use 6.6lbs of Light LME and not use the 2-row. The other grains can be steeped I believe.

Careful with the Lactose with Lactose intolerant people convulsing on your beer (never a good selling point).

I can steep everything else together and then substitue the Light LME?

Good point. Im also cutting the lactose in half as Ive read where it can be too sweet.

Thanks for all the help, and please keep suggestions coming

Substitute LIGHT extract for the 2 row. Steep everything else.

If your using LME you will need 8lbs. If using DME use 6 lbs

yeah that's a whole lot of steeping grains. If your using bags you may need to split it into several bags.

I thought flaked items HAD to be mashed, otherwise the proper conversion would not occur - for instance flaked oats. I could be wrong but I thought the enzymes from mashing prompted the conversion used for flaked oats.

I did hear of someone "steeping" 2lbs of 2Row (or some other basemalt), basically making a mini mash. That created enough enzymes to work with the flaked oats. Does this make sense?

yeah that's a whole lot of steeping grains. If your using bags you may need to split it into several bags.
Use a different bag for each? I have a large muslin from a previous.
did the recipe say if you are suppose to strain the coconut out, or dump it all into the fermenter?
It doesnt say, but I was skipping that and adding toasted coconut in the secondary.

I thought flaked items HAD to be mashed, otherwise the proper conversion would not occur - for instance flaked oats. I could be wrong but I thought the enzymes from mashing prompted the conversion used for flaked oats.

I did hear of someone "steeping" 2lbs of 2Row (or some other basemalt), basically making a mini mash. That created enough enzymes to work with the flaked oats. Does this make sense?

Im curious to this as "mashing" would be a new step. Anyone else have ideas to this?

You have some grains that must be mashed, so you'll have to take all those grains and add about 2 pounds of base malt (American 2-row is fine). You can break it until several bags if you need to. That's alot of grain, so you'll need to have a total of 7 pounds of grain (all those plus the two pounds of 2-row). You can put them in 2.5-3 gallons of water, and steep them at 150-155 degrees for 45 minutes. (That's actually a mash, but the steeping procedure is the same).

You didn't ask for input on the recipe, so I won't comment on it too much beyond asking if you if you've ever tasted this beer. The recipe with 2 pounds of crystal and a pound of lactose will be very sweet. The chocolate and black patent (that's quite a bit of each of them) will be bitter. I definitely wouldn't be able to drink this, but I don't have a sweet tooth at all. Others might feel differently, of course.

You have some grains that must be mashed, so you'll have to take all those grains and add about 2 pounds of base malt (American 2-row is fine). You can break it until several bags if you need to. That's alot of grain, so you'll need to have a total of 7 pounds of grain (all those plus the two pounds of 2-row). You can put them in 2.5-3 gallons of water, and steep them at 150-155 degrees for 45 minutes. (That's actually a mash, but the steeping procedure is the same).

You didn't ask for input on the recipe, so I won't comment on it too much beyond asking if you if you've ever tasted this beer. The recipe with 2 pounds of crystal and a pound of lactose will be very sweet. The chocolate and black patent (that's quite a bit of each of them) will be bitter. I definitely wouldn't be able to drink this, but I don't have a sweet tooth at all. Others might feel differently, of course.

I found it googling around for a milk stout recipe, and was thinking about a coconut porter was well, and just thought I could just do this. I found this recipe on the BA website, and they had it listed as a 3 hour tour clone. I checked out the review for 3 hour tour and thought it would be a good sit down and relax beer. Im planning on reducing the lactose by half as well though.

I was trying to decide between this or Fujiura's Coconut Porter. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help.

Back