New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I've never been a bug wheat fan. Not sure what it is but just not happening.

Then a guy handed me a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis - well, never turning down free beer I drank it and said WOW! That was really good.

So I mentioned I was looking for a clone and a guy said he had never tried but his his all time favorite was New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat.

I had never tried it but picked up a 6-pack last night on the way home and had one.

This could be one the best beers I have ever had! Seriously awesome - and then I fell asleep!

HEY - I did not know it had 7.2% ABV - totally hidden in the outstanding flavor!

As one guy said "Starts with a nice mild ripe banana and clove flavor, then the spice kicks in with cinnamon and nutmeg taking turns on the palate. Next, there is a wave of honey and a nice nuttiness that finishes creamy."

Check this one out if you are a Hefeweizen fan (which I am now).

Am HUGE fan of the Kellerweis, in fact I sent a email to Sierra Nevada to tell them of my experience with their great take on Bavarian Hefe and they were kind enough to send me a packet of their beer coasters and a church key!! Great customer appreciation!!

Haven't had the Dancing Man, but if it is as good as Black Wheat or Crack'd Wheat, count me in for sure. Kanderna, taking a trip up to Wisconsin for NG products is definitely worth it. The Unplugged series are pretty widely available and delicious.

Wow, quite the IA hangout here in this thread! :mug:

Ketchepillar - Can I pick it up anywhere? In other words, can I cross the border and pick it up at the first stop 'n' rob that I see, or do I have to hit Hy-Vee or specialty? I have to run to Chicago in a couple weeks, and may have to side trek north to WI if it means just hitting the border. Thinking Beloit.

Anyway, I've always been a SN fan in general, so I dropped them a note, and here is the response:

Thanks so much for your kind words about Kellerweis and Anniversary.

Honestly, when we were developing the recipe for the beer we weren’t sure how people would react to it. Stylistically speaking, it’s a bit of a departure for Sierra Nevada, which traditionally has been known as an “American” brewery.

The beer itself is truly labor intensive. It takes about twice as long to brew and is three times as hands-on as our standard year-round beers. The difference is in the flavor, we feel.

American hefeweizens are often bland shadows of their German cousins. We wanted to make sure ours had every bit of the character and zip of the Bavarian classics.

Now where's my free stuff? :D :drunk:

Yea - most good places will have it. Only the ONLY BUD places should NOT have NG brews. They stopped sellign it outside Wisconsin - to popular in.

kanderna - also in in WI look for Tyranena and Ale Asylum beer - I consider those three the best in WI.

Latest posts

Back