Opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunleav1

Reaction score
I read Hightest's faqs and did a bunch of searches in this forum but I would like to get some opinions on a variation.
I plan on making a 5 gallon batch of basic mead in a 6 gallon carboy.
I would be following the instructions here: http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/BasicMead.pdf

But I want to try something a little different. Instead of having one mead I'd like to have five one gallon batches of mead/melomel at the end.
I plan on using 1 gallon glass jugs as carboys for my first racking:

Jug 1 - basic mead
Jug 2 - 1# frozen peaches
Jug 3 - 1# frozen blueberries
Jug 4 - 1# frozen sour cherries
Jug 5 - 1# frozen raspberries
(all the fruit will have no preservatives - as it's from my garden or the local farm).

I was thinking of adding the fruit to the 1 gallon jugs when I rack from my 6 gallon carboy when I reach close to 1.000. This way I can add all the nutrients to the master batch and let the yeast ferment out the fruit in the individual containers.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,
Joe

Sounds like a great plan to me. Though you may consider changing your fruit additions, I like all of your choices, but 1 lb per gallon will certainly be a hint of flavor rather then a main character. Also, if you are using frozen fruits, let them thaw, then refreeze them, then let them thaw again, it helps to break down the cell walls.

I think you will get better attentuation on the secondary if you don't wait for your priamry mead to clear.

1 month of fermentation, then rack onto fruit IMO.

I did a something quite similar with my first batch. I am only 3 months in so I can't say how it will come out, but I can suggest that you make sure to have some additional volume set aside for losses due to transfers, fruit, testing, etc. I ended up losing about a gallon by the time I transferred it off of the fruit (I used a lot more fruit), though I probably could have lost a little less with better planning. My next batches will be 5 gallons of the melomels that come out the best (strawberry and raspberry, both with a section of vanilia bean, appear to be the front runners).

We did our first 6 batches of mead this way.

here's a couple links that may help

Small batch question

Swamp Water Brewery

Let us know how it turns out

D

My links didn't work

Do search for "Small batch question"
that will get the thread

A google search of "Swamp Water Brewery" will provide more in depth info

Sorry about the links

D

Back