Bar Tricks - Freeze A Beer In 2 Seconds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever left a homebrew in the freezer long enough for it to freeze? Since this "instant freezing" trick supposedly relies on the beer being below freezing but without any nucleation sites to begin cystallizing, I wonder how an unfiltered beer like homebrew, with yeast at the bottom, would compare - I would think the sediment would provide enough nucleation sites for it to freeze while still in the freezer, as soon as it was cold enough.

Not something I really want to experiment with though, as I've always been pretty paranoid of freezing beer... Years ago, my mom forgot a couple bottles in the freezer and they exploded, filling half the freezer with a mountain of frozen foam laced with broken glass. Not fun to clean up.

Yep. The things can blow, alright, as the water expands into ice and the CO2 comes out of solution. I remember when I was a kid and my Dad put a couple Coors Lights in the freezer to chill quickly. He forgot about them, and they blew. They were cans, thank goodness. He just had to laugh about it and said "well, I guess that's why they call it 'the silver bullet.'"

TL

Funkenjaeger said:
Not something I really want to experiment with though, as I've always been pretty paranoid of freezing beer... Years ago, my mom forgot a couple bottles in the freezer and they exploded, filling half the freezer with a mountain of frozen foam laced with broken glass. Not fun to clean up.

sounds like my g/f

she'll sometimes toss beers in the freezer if we're playing games and usually those games lead to being farely tossed. so of course they'll get left in the freezer. we've had more than a few explode in there because of her:mad: the clean up definitely sucks.

I had a few HB's out in the garage last week, brought one in and it was clearly not frozen, as soon as a popped the top it turned to slush.

I've always been careful about this because my Mom used to do it almost WEEKLY with Diet Pepsi in the deep freezer.

I did, however, accidentally go to bed without removing a flip-top of Apfelwein from the freezer. Luckily, I had already popped the top, so any excess just leaked out between the gasket, and froze on the sides. No explosion, no sad flip-top.

Back