Boiling problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just about brand new to homebrewing and having a blast! I just finished brewing my first all grain batch and am very excited about it. I was however concerned about how long it took me to bring the wort to a boil. This boil was larger than my 2 previous steeped grains with extract batches. It was about 7 gallons. I currently do not have a designated propane burner, I am boiling on gas stove top.

It took about 40 minutes to bring the wort to boil. Is this an acceptable figure? Would it be recommended to buy a propane burner if I wish to continue boiling this volume of wort? Is it problematic to the wort to take this long to bring it to boil?

Any help or guidance for a new brewer will be greatly appreciated. I am very excited to be undertaking this awesome hobby!!!

Someone with more experience may know more, but as far as I know it won't negatively impact the beer provided you can get a good vigorous boil going. Really the only negative is just waiting for it to boil is a pain in the ass. A propane burner would be worth it to save time and ensure a good boil. You also want to invest in a wort chiller if you havent already. Ice water baths wont cool full volume boils quick enough

bramstoker17 said:
someone with more experience may know more, but as far as i know it won't negatively impact the beer provided you can get a good vigorous boil going. Really the only negative is just waiting for it to boil is a pain in the ass. A propane burner would be worth it to save time and ensure a good boil. You also want to invest in a wort chiller if you havent already. Ice water baths wont cool full volume boils quick enough

+1

Back