Bud Light clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I was looking for recipes the other day and came across a bud light clone.

Discovering this begs the question "Why would you want to clone piss water"?

Don't most of us make our own beer because it is good?

Just seem like a waste of effort and good grains.

Ha!

Recipe: 5 gallons of seltzer water, yellow food coloring.

Actually, by all accounts, brewing up an American Light Lager and having it turn out well is supposed to be extremely difficult. So I suppose, some might do it for the challenge.

But yea... I wouldn't waste my time, money, or effort. Shrug.

1) Because someone said, "You'd never be able to brew it."

2) Because someone said, "I like (insert beer here). Can you brew it?"

3) Because s/he can.

Easy:

1. Drink lots of good beer.
2. Save empty bottles
3. Piss in empty bottles
4. Bud light.

Why not? You might not like it, I don't like it. But there are A LOT of people in this country who think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. A lot of people will only drink it no matter what so for I'm sure someone out there who wants to make something that their friends will drink they had to try and see if they can. Also if you can make it maybe you can find a way to make it better. One of those reverse engineering things.

I'd love to brew a light American lager. But I don't have good enough temperature control or a vessel big enough to make as big of a starter that I'd need.

The recipe I'd use is the Light Lager that won best of show at 2012 NHC. That's right, a light lager beat out every other category/subcategory at the largest homebrew competition in the world, judged by the best judges in the world.

I guess I've never had an American light lager that turned out well. LOL.

The recipe I'd use is the Light Lager that won best of show at 2012 NHC. That's right, a light lager beat out every other category/subcategory at the largest homebrew competition in the world, judged by the best judges in the world.

Do you know of a link to that recipe? I'd actually be very interested to look at it.

Screw it, I'd make it! Just for funzies. And because it wouldn't go wasted, I know plenty of people that would drink it. Myself included.

Why not? You might not like it, I don't like it. But there are A LOT of people in this country who think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. A lot of people will only drink it no matter what so for I'm sure someone out there who wants to make something that their friends will drink they had to try and see if they can. Also if you can make it maybe you can find a way to make it better. One of those reverse engineering things.

I guess it goes to show that if you throw enough money out there advertising you can sell just about anything. Not only that but have them rave about it and refuse to drink anything else while wearing apparel to promote for free!

If Bud light were Buddy's light beer I bet it wouldn't sell a single case to any sane beer loving individual.

Sorry folks I cant stand Anheuser-Busch InBev products.

While there are a few that are drinkable, I won't buy them only because they turned Americans into a bunch of watered-down piss water drinking lemmings that truly believe that bud is the king of beers.

While there are a few that are drinkable, I won't buy them only because they turned Americans into a bunch of watered-down piss water drinking lemmings that truly believe that bud is the king of beers.

You obviously don't know your American beer history...

Give the book "Ambitious Brew" a read.

Essentially because assuming you have already recouped the cost of your equipment from other batches, its cheaper to make piss water than to buy it. Besides... you can drink beer while brewing piss water. Try drinking while driving to the store to buy piss water and see how far that gets ya!!!

For those that refuse to drink InBev products, I get it. I too do not drink BMC. However, I still appreciate the ability for them to make barrel after barrel after barrel of beer and have the flavor profile be spot on to what they are looking for.

So how good are the lagers you are brewing tasting?

I brew some lighter lagers that BMC drinkers try which dont scare them away from craft beer and helps them make the transition to better beer.

My brother-in-law and next door neighbor love the stuff. One of my goals is to improve my process and skills to the point where I can produce this style. I understand that American Light Lager will show the flaws in your work.

Wow Revy, that's a lot of typing.

All good, valid points though. I'm a little tired now, I think I'll go drink a beer. This was like work.

You guys say you dont like Budweiser? What about Budweiser Budvar? hehe... They actually have that here in the local area.

Why delete Revvy's comment? I was looking forward to reading it.

This is because a combination of prohibition and 2 world wars destroyed the micro/macrobrew industry, only a few companies survived. One was named Annheuser Busch. American light lagers are popular simply because they were the only companies that and manufactured and mass distributed beer. The reason they survived is because their beer is cheap to produce and carries a huge margin percentage. Mcdonalds is one of the largest, most profitable restaurant chains in the country. That doesn't mean it's food is gourmet. Dont mistake good business for good beer.

That being said, the american light lager is a legitimate and tastey style of brew. To stay with the analagy, you can buy a burger at McDonalds and make a burger at home. They're both Hamburgers, but they are not the same product.

This is because a combination of prohibition and 2 world wars destroyed the micro/macrobrew industry, only a few companies survived. One was named Annheuser Busch.

Similarly, I always wonder what would have happened with St Louis's brew industry had the Trappists stayed at Cahokia.

Also, on the AmLtLgr topic: I have a PBR clone written down somewhere (so much rice solids) that I always threaten to brew for a local brewfest under the name "Hipster Juice" but my lagering capabilities are... not well regulated.

That being said, the american light lager is a legitimate and tastey style of brew. To stay with the analagy, you can buy a burger at McDonalds and make a burger at home. They're both Hamburgers, but they are not the same product.

Tasty? I suppose if I had the choice between drinking horse piss and Budlight I would choose the latter of the two.

Its OKAY and not anti-american to bash the Bud.

Tasty? I suppose if I had the choice between drinking horse piss and Budlight I would choose the latter of the two.

Its OKAY and not anti-american to bash the Bud.

So is the point of your thread to bash fellow homebrewers who have different tastes in beers than you?

So is the point of your thread to bash fellow homebrewers who have different tastes in beers than you?

No my friend. I am just curious why one would expend the effort to make crappy tasting (IMO) beer when there are so many more flavorful options.

No my friend. I am just curious why one would expend the effort to make crappy tasting (IMO) beer when there are so many more flavorful options.

Well, I don't like Belgians. I don't come onto a forum and tell people that they are ignorant if they like something I don't. I could call Belgians "bubblegum fruit drops" and all kinds of things because I don't like them.

People like what they like. Saying things like it's "horse piss" and that stuff just make people sound silly. If you don't like it, bully for you. But others do. But acting like it's cool to be an arrogant jerk isn't "cool" at all- it's ridiculous.

Tell you what. When you brew a perfect Bud Light clone, please share it with us. Instead of denigrating it, why not find out about the style, and then find out that it's probably THE hardest brew to homebrew perfectly. Until then, you just sound like an arrogant beer snob who doesn't appreciate what he doesn't understand.

For my first brew I brewed the brewer best American light. Getting ready to bottle on Wednesday, don't know how that compares.

I will agree on one point with you. Bud Light is flawed. If poured into a glass, you can smell and taste DMS.

This makes me want to do better. I currently have a Miller Lite clone in the primary. I also have a Vienna lager in primary, recently kegged Czech Amber, an American wit, as well as IPA APA and Bopils in my fridge.

Not a huge fan of lite beers myself but I do like variety and every now and then I want something light to wash down the pizza or chineese takeout. Its also good to have on tap for non craft drinkers when they visit.

I took it as a huge compliment when my bud lite swilling neighbor tasted bud lite and a rice lager I brewed side by side and obviously preferred mine over his bud.

So that is why I would brew a lite beer.

Well, I don't like Belgians. I don't come onto a forum and tell people that they are ignorant if they like something I don't. I could call Belgians "bubblegum fruit drops" and all kinds of things because I don't like them.

People like what they like. Saying things like it's "horse piss" and that stuff just make people sound silly. If you don't like it, bully for you. But others do. But acting like it's cool to be an arrogant jerk isn't "cool" at all- it's ridiculous.

Tell you what. When you brew a perfect Bud Light clone, please share it with us. Instead of denigrating it, why not find out about the style, and then find out that it's probably THE hardest brew to homebrew perfectly. Until then, you just sound like an arrogant beer snob who doesn't appreciate what he doesn't understand.

Arrogant jerk? Arrogant beer snob?

Well I suppose I'll take that as a complement since I have been called much worse. ;)

RCCOLA said:
I will agree on one point with you. Bud Light is flawed. If poured into a glass, you can smell and taste DMS.

Not since that beers inception in the early 80's have I ever encountered this.

Their brewing process makes the presence of DMS nearly impossible.

From BYO;
Anheuser-Busch (A-B) uses a device called a volatile stripper that forces hot air over thin films of wort after wort boiling to remove undesirable aromas such as DMS (dimethyl sulfide, which smells like cooked corn). Although A-B has adopted the philosophy of minimizing oxygen pick-up during mashing, mash transfer, and wort collection, the company still uses the wort stripper to make very pale-colored beers.

This makes me want to do better. I currently have a Miller Lite clone in the primary. I also have a Vienna lager in primary, recently kegged Czech Amber, an American wit, as well as IPA APA and Bopils in my fridge.

Not a huge fan of lite beers myself but I do like variety and every now and then I want something light to wash down the pizza or chineese takeout. Its also good to have on tap for non craft drinkers when they visit.

I took it as a huge compliment when my bud lite swilling neighbor tasted bud lite and a rice lager I brewed side by side and obviously preferred mine over his bud.

So that is why I would brew a lite beer.

Now there's a good reason. I may have to give an American Light Lager a try for friends of mine who actually enjoy BL.

Not since that beers inception in the early 80's have I ever encountered this.

Their brewing process makes the presence of DMS nearly impossible.

From BYO;
Anheuser-Busch (A-B) uses a device called a volatile stripper that forces hot air over thin films of wort after wort boiling to remove undesirable aromas such as DMS (dimethyl sulfide, which smells like cooked corn). Although A-B has adopted the philosophy of minimizing oxygen pick-up during mashing, mash transfer, and wort collection, the company still uses the wort stripper to make very pale-colored beers.
That process is so they can get away with a 45 min boil. Pour one and try it. Ill be surprised if you can honestly say you dont taste cabbagy flavors.

Why delete Revvy's comment? I was looking forward to reading it.

Yeah, where did it go? I didn't see anything so wrong that it had to be removed.

It's fine to come onto this forum and say a beer tastes like horse piss to you. There are beers I'd say that about too.

It's fine to come on here and propose all sorts of AB monopolistic theories, etc. Great, maybe you're right, dunno.

It is NOT OK to call each other names and attempt to belittle another poster. If you don't like what another poster posted, either ignore, respond without provocation, or click the report button
report.gif
. Name-calling and belligerent posts are counter productive and will be removed.

eyebrau said:
Do you know of a link to that recipe? I'd actually be very interested to look at it.

It was in Zymurgy's September/October issues.
Volume 35* No. 5 page l

I was looking for recipes the other day and came across a bud light clone.

Discovering this begs the question "Why would you want to clone piss water"?

Don't most of us make our own beer because it is good?

Just seem like a waste of effort and good grains.

I dont condone drinking or brewing any type of piss beer..but just make a light colored lager using pilsner,rice syrup, hallertau hops,wyeast 2035 and beano..filter it and try to drink it..good luck just so you know thats the hardest style of beer to brew..start with ales you need more equiptment to brew beer like that..not trying to discourage just my 2 cents..have fun

It's fine to come onto this forum and say a beer tastes like horse piss to you. There are beers I'd say that about too.

It's fine to come on here and propose all sorts of AB monopolistic theories, etc. Great, maybe you're right, dunno.

It is NOT OK to call each other names and attempt to belittle another poster. If you don't like what another poster posted, either ignore, respond without provocation, or click the report button
report.gif
. Name-calling and belligerent posts are counter productive and will be removed.

Thank you but I still see Yoopers self-righteous rant appearing in this thread.

This is a forum and I can damn well express my opinion that Bud Light taste like horse piss regardless of how "difficult" it is to make. Nothing I have said in this thread has broken the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back