RIS stuck 6points too high...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dondeez

Reaction score
About a month ago I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout OG 1.096 I used MR Malty to figure out the correct size starter and fermented it in the mid-upper 60s. Beersmith predicted my FG to be 1.022 but it has been stuck at 1.028 for at least 2 weeks now. Is 6 points alot to worry about? I know relax and have a homebrew but I just dont want any bottle bombs when I bottle this. Thanks in advance.

It's probably done. If you're really worried, how about adding a smaller amount of priming sugar to target a lower carbonation? That way, if there are some extra sugars you'll at least be at a normal carbonation. If there aren't any extra sugars, you'll still have a creamy powerful stout.

You could always rehydrate and dump in a couple of packs of notty. That might squeeze out a few more points for ya. 1.096 down to 1.028 is a pretty rich (if not sweet) beer.

I ended up hydrating a pack of US-05 and dumping it in. It was all I had on hand so im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

It won't budge. 1.028 is finished for a RIS that big... all that dark malt will not ferment.

Mine finishes around the same and it's quite tasty... RDWHAHB.

FWIW, a local brewery has a (now famous) imperial stout, to get theirs down to 1.014, they use corn sugar as 15% of the fermentables.

Back