Johnson controller install Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedale

Reaction score
I know this probably has been answered but I couldn't find anything on it.

I want to install my Johnson temp control on my refrigerator. I think I will bypass the Thermostat in the refrigerator.

Will I still be able to use the Freezer as normal or will the controller mess with the compressor to much to keep it freezing?

How would I go about doing this????

The freezer compartment probably won't stay cold enough to function as a normal freezer. Try setting the refrigerator thermostat to it's coldest setting. Some of the newer refrigerator thermostats may limit how cold you can go. If you find you can't go low enough, you may need to bypass it completely. This is normally very easy to do by just connecting the leads together directly which takes the thermostat out of the loop.

Will I still be able to use the Freezer as normal or will the controller mess with the compressor to much to keep it freezing?

Nope. Not without some more effort than you usually find on such rigs

Most fridges use one motor and compressor. The freezer is where all the cooling effort goes and the cold air for the d fridge part is delivered by venting from the freezer.

So you'd have to over-ride not merely the thermostat but also the venting.
Otherwise the freezer will be slaved to the Johnson controlling the main fridge.

Most fridges use one motor and compressor. The freezer is where all the cooling effort goes and the cold air for the d fridge part is delivered by venting from the freezer.

Cliff897 is correct, usually the freezer is providing the cold air to the fridge. The temp control knob for the fridge usually is opening (more) or closing (more) a vent between the freezer and the fridge. I have seen some with a fan between the freezer and fridge but the concept is the same.

Cliff897 is correct, usually the freezer is providing the cold air to the fridge. The temp control knob for the fridge usually is opening (more) or closing (more) a vent between the freezer and the fridge. I have seen some with a fan between the freezer and fridge but the concept is the same.

What if I were able to use a Love controller to override the fridge thermostat and vent. I assume then I would be able to run the freezer full force and control the fridge as needed.

What if I were able to use a Love controller to override the fridge thermostat and vent. I assume then I would be able to run the freezer full force and control the fridge as needed.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here. If you want to run the freezer full force adding a controller would gain you zero. The vent on most fridges is not electrically controlled, it just has a flap to opens and closes as you change the dial. There may be some that are electric, I really don't know. You can find out by removing some of the plastic covers usually located on the back interior of the fridge.

Let us know what you are trying to do with the different temps and I am sure someone on here will have a solution.

Back