How's my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
It's for an American Honey Wheat Ale

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1.00 lb Orange Blossom Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10.00 %
Wyeast Pacman Ale Yeast

Might want to bump up your pale or wheat malt up a lb or two.. I'd add 1lb to each and maybe add another few oz of the honey malt. I only say this because 1lb of honey might make the beer too dry and lose some flavor. That, or mash at a higher temp. ...or use a little less honey, maybe?

Note: I'm not too experienced with how much the honey dries out the beer, so take this with a grain of salt.

Cut back your Honey Malt. That stuff is PO-tent.

The intent here, if I'm understanding you correctly, is to have an American Wheat with some honey character. That means hints of honey flavor and aroma coming through in the glass. A full pound of Honey Malt in five US gallons isn't a hint; it's a bludgeon. ;)

Orange Blossom honey is full-flavored, compared to other honeys. The drinker should be able to detect its flavors and aromas without other ingredients adding emphasis. But four ounces of Honey malt will add a bit of "oomph".

I don't think a pound of honey is going to remove too much body. The flaked wheat will add some body. Nevertheless you may wish to mash slightly higher than usual to build some body back into the beer; if I were to do that I'd mash this at 154F or so.

I don't recommend boiling honey. Boiling drives off the delicate and subtle aromatics which you're trying to impart. Were I you, I'd add the honey at flameout, like a late extract addition.

I also wouldn't use flavor or aroma hops additions. Since this is an American Honey Wheat, emphasize the flavors in the name of the beer, not hops. It's not American Pale Ale With Some Wheat In It, after all. Emphasize the tang of the wheat, delicate citrus notes and slight residual sweetness from the honey, and subdue the bitterness.

Don't be afraid to brew a delicate beer. It's harder; it shows off your skill! :D

Good luck! :mug:

Bob

Cut back your Honey Malt. That stuff is PO-tent.

The intent here, if I'm understanding you correctly, is to have an American Wheat with some honey character. That means hints of honey flavor and aroma coming through in the glass. A full pound of Honey Malt in five US gallons isn't a hint; it's a bludgeon. ;)

Orange Blossom honey is full-flavored, compared to other honeys. The drinker should be able to detect its flavors and aromas without other ingredients adding emphasis. But four ounces of Honey malt will add a bit of "oomph".

I don't think a pound of honey is going to remove too much body. The flaked wheat will add some body. Nevertheless you may wish to mash slightly higher than usual to build some body back into the beer; if I were to do that I'd mash this at 154F or so.

I don't recommend boiling honey. Boiling drives off the delicate and subtle aromatics which you're trying to impart. Were I you, I'd add the honey at flameout, like a late extract addition.

I also wouldn't use flavor or aroma hops additions. Since this is an American Honey Wheat, emphasize the flavors in the name of the beer, not hops. It's not American Pale Ale With Some Wheat In It, after all. Emphasize the tang of the wheat, delicate citrus notes and slight residual sweetness from the honey, and subdue the bitterness.

Don't be afraid to brew a delicate beer. It's harder; it shows off your skill! :D

Good luck! :mug:

Bob

Great advice! Thank you

No I probably won't be brewing it for a couple of weeks. My fermenters are full at the moment and waiting for their lazy maker to bottle them.

Now I ended up brewing this a couple of days ago. I decided to use 3/4 lb of honey malt and I couldn't get reasonably priced orange blossom honey so I went with regular old clover. My OG ended up being 1.062 which is quite a bit higher than expected. I'm thinking this is due to the fine crush from brewmaster's warehouse. I will adjust in future brews. Is this beer going to be unbalanced now? I was hoping it would be subtle.

Hmm.. interesting, how'd it come out?? I am curious as to bwomp's original and final questions.. is it going to be unbalanced.. I'd like to try this sometime as well since using honey malt for a rye beer once I fell in love with it. Any more tips on the subject?

Back