Primary fermentation in a bucket instead of carboy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtotheL

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to these forums and to home brewing. I spent the last week reading from beginning to end Palmer's HowToBrew website, and spent some more time around here.

So I'm about to be as confident as I can be before starting my first batch.

However, I am somewhat unclear about the primary fermentation vessel.

My LHBS sold me the starter kit, including a 6 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon better bottle carboy with air lock.

All the pictures I saw around here and on John Palmer's website shows the primary fermentation being done in a 6 gallon air-locked or tubed carboy.

On the other hand, my LHBS tells me that the primary fermentation should be made in the 6 gallon bucket with the lid just resting on top, allowing the Co2 to leak out.

I asked the guy about oxydation and he told me that it isn't a problem at this stage of fermentation...

Fine, this make sense, however I plan on leaving the beer on the yeast cake for 1 to 2 weeks and only then rack it to secondary...

So here are my questions:

Since the bulk of the fermentation will be done and the beer will still be in the bucket with simply the lid resting on top, does this call for oxydation/infection problems ?

Should I just buy myself a 6 gallon glass carboy with airlock/blow-off tube as my primary fermentation vessel and use the 6 gallon bucket to sanitize my equipment instead ?

You could use the bucket. Before brewing, drill a hole in the top of the lid, install a rubber grommet, and insert an airlock into the grommet. When you pour your wort into the fermenting bucket close the lid to the 6 gal bucket tight.
This will allow CO2 to escape without having to leave the lid off.

5 gal carboy doesn't have the head space to ferment 5 gallon of beer

Most folks start with a bucket and many continue forever using a bucket as primary. I started backwards and used 6.5 glass carboys for 3 years before I bought a bucket. What a dumbshecky I was for not using a bucket from the beginning. I love my bucket primaries!

As OhioGuy said, if your bucket doesn't have a drilled lid, drill it and get a grommet.

You could use the bucket. Before brewing, drill a hole in the top of the lid, install a rubber grommet, and insert an airlock into the grommet. When you pour your wort into the fermenting bucket close the lid to the 6 gal bucket tight.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I know that the 5 gal carboy is too small for primary, and this one I'll only use for secondary.

What I was pondering is buying a new 6 gal carboy for primary, but I think that for now your solution will be just fine (and less expensive).

When I gain some experience and start running more than one batch in primary at once, I'll buy the 6 gal glass carboy.

Thanks again.

Most folks start with a bucket and many continue forever using a bucket as primary. I started backwards and used 6.5 glass carboys for 3 years before I bought a bucket. What a dumbshecky I was for not using a bucket from the beginning. I love my bucket primaries!

As OhioGuy said, if your bucket doesn't have a drilled lid, drill it and get a grommet.

That's what I'll do thanks...

So, are you saying that it is actually better (or at least more practical) to only use plastic buckets with the lid drilled and accomodated with a gromet and airlock than to use glass carboys ?

If so, then why are all the pictures of experienced home brewers I see around here shows carboys as primaries ? :confused:

It's a personal preference.

Carboys work great but they are heavy, hard to carry when full, and harder to clean. I can lift a bucket full of wort but I have to have my hubby carry a full glass carboy downstairs. Also, pouring your wort into a bucket is MUCH easier.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with carboys and I still use them if I'm going to secondary.

It's a personal preference.

Carboys work great but they are heavy, hard to carry when full, and harder to clean. I can lift a bucket full of wort but I have to have my hubby carry a full glass carboy downstairs. Also, pouring your wort into a bucket is MUCH easier.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with carboys and I still use them if I'm going to secondary.

Gotcha. Well off the the LHBS to get the additional gromet and airlock. :cool:

just came across this thread during a search ( i know i am about two years off) wondering if a bucket is as light sensitive as the glass carboy. My closet(where i ferment) is often a few degrees cooler than the rest of my house and was wondering if i could primary in a bucket in the kitchen to keep it up a little.

I have a related question to this thread as well while it's up:

Would it be improper to use a 6.5g carboy as a secondary fermentation vessel for 5g batches of beer? I'm wondering if all that extra headspace would oxidize the beer.

You want to use the largest bucket you can find, usually 7.9 gallons. They do not make carboys that are big enough for use as a primary fermenter for 5 gallons.

(If you have a healthy fermentation there will be too much foam for a 6.5 gallon carboy.)

But, Forrest, I use anti foam drops...

(don't put silicone in your beer unless you absolutely have to.)

Use a 5 gallon carboy to reduce oxygen in the secondary.

Forrest

i'm running a 5G carboy right now for my first fermentation, and in 24 hours it blew out more than a 1/2 quart of beer.

wish i had a larger one, but at least i didn't airlock it :ban:

so am i losing a lot of beer since i hardly have any headspace?

You want to use the largest bucket you can find, usually 7.9 gallons. They do not make carboys that are big enough for use as a primary fermenter for 5 gallons.

(If you have a healthy fermentation there will be too much foam for a 6.5 gallon carboy.)

Huh?????????

I've used 6.5 gal glass carboys as a primary fermentor for 5 gallons of wort for years without a problem. Low flocculating yeast will push foam up close to the cap...but never had one overflow. I transfer off to a 5gal carboy if I need the 6.5 for a new batch, but otherwise I just leave it in there for 4 weeks....then bottle. Using the Ale Pail for primary sounds like a good idea because it's so easy to clean, but I just haven't tried it yet.

Huh?????????

I've used 6.5 gal glass carboys as a primary fermentor for 5 gallons of wort for years without a problem. Low flocculating yeast will push foam up close to the cap...but never had one overflow. I transfer off to a 5gal carboy if I need the 6.5 for a new batch, but otherwise I just leave it in there for 4 weeks....then bottle. Using the Ale Pail for primary sounds like a good idea because it's so easy to clean, but I just haven't tried it yet.

The ale pail is too small as well. You need the fermenter your homebrew store sells to wine customers. You need to add nutrients to your beer if you are not getting a healthy krausen. If your beer just sits there with maybe a half an inch of foam, you can do better. The goal is not to have the beer ferment slow with little foam. The goal is a fast clean fermentation that will greatly improve flavor and clarity.

You need the 7.9 gallon bucket that will cover a healthy fermentation even if you make a high gravity beer. You spend enough on the ingredients why lose the beer. If you are able to ferment in a 6.5 without losing beer the fermentation is not healthy enough.

Forrest

I could go on here and tout my own product but then you would think that I am just trying to sell you something.

So instead I can give you a free sample of Brewvint Yeast Fuel. Send an email to: [email protected] and request a sample. If you are a customer, do me the favor and add the comment to your next order.

If you use the sample please have a larger fermenter so you won't lose beer.
No ale pails, 5, 6, or 6.5 gallon fermenters. You need the 7.9 gallon bucket that will cover a healthy fermentation even if you make a high gravity beer. You spend enough on the ingredients why lose the beer. If you are able to ferment in a 6.5 without losing beer the fermentation is not healthy enough.

The advantages of using Brewvint Yeast fuel are as follows:

Reduce fermentation time. Takes up to 2 days off fermentation time.
Imparts no off-flavors.
Provide nutrients often lacking in wort.
Provide lipids and amino acids which are beneficial for yeast.

Fast clean fermentation with the right amount of krausen.

This free sample offer will end March 12th 2010.

Forrest

Latest posts

Back