need advice from yeast culturing experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
my friends wife is asking me about getting something like this kit for him for a gift. I think it is cool and want him to get it read the book and give me the cliffnotes version. Is this worth the money, is there something better, or should I recommending her to piecemeal a better kit together?

MoreBeer | Yeast Master - Intermediate

If it were me I would build my own it's easy besides go for a larger flask as 1,000ml is rather small. Their price for a 2,000ml is $20, shop around and get them cheaper. For the rest of your money build a yeast stir plate it's a simple project. JMO's.

I don't like that the kit comes with plastic plates. I find the glass ones more useful.

Kai

This got me the idea to put together a simple Cynmar order list for gear that I find useful for yeast culturing:

Yeast culturing gear

This list is about $59 (w/o shipping) but doesn't contain the book (there is a lot about this on the web), DME or the alcohol lamp. I use a propane torch instead of the latter. But the 500 ml flasks are $15 for a 6 pack, so you get 5 extra 500 ml flasks.

All you need in addition to this is a stir plate and stir bars.

Kai

To add to Kai's work, item for item (roughly), a Cynmar order would cost under $35 (not including DME, the book, and shipping).

sweet thanks for the info guys, kai your links arent working inside your wiki

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll try to find a way to get them to work or just remove them altogether and leave just the description and a link to their home page.

Kai

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll try to find a way to get them to work or just remove them altogether and leave just the description and a link to their home page.

Kai

looks like the first link works but all the rest don't. The first link is formated differently.

Code:
http://www.cynmar.com/item_detail.aspx?[COLOR="Red"]ItemCode=[/COLOR]11520159

vs

Code:
http://www.cynmar.com/item_detail.aspx?[COLOR="Red"]LineUID=[/COLOR]1228189909053203

the LineUIDs are all useless but if you replace them with ItemCode and the item number in your list they should work.

My stirplate build is in my signature... It requires no DIY skills as long as you can follow directions...

Back