yeast issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli_Crow

Reaction score
This is my first ever batch of beer.
I'm using safale us-5 yeast and its not starting up and I already put it in the mix

I pitched it at 80 degrees about an hour ago

Wow, pitched an hour ago and already worried about it? Patience is the most important ingredient in great beer. Look up Palmer's "How To Brew", excellent book and a must for new brewers.

Welcome to the forum Crow. What area you from? People on this forum are extremely generous and helpful, and might even be willing to let you borrow "How To Brew". I know I would! Good Luck!

Update? Has it started yet? What kind of brew is it and what temps are you fermenting at?

It fired up it just needed time.I was being inpatient...lol...
I'm brewing an amber ale

Also, you will hear varying opinions but for dry yeast you really should properly hydrate it prior to use. Using 1g of GoFerm per gram of yeast during rehydration will also greatly improve the health of your yeast. The Morebeer.com and Lallemand websites as well as Scott I believe, have the procedures for properly hydrating yeast.

Also, you will hear varying opinions but for dry yeast you really should properly hydrate it prior to use. Using 1g of GoFerm per gram of yeast during rehydration will also greatly improve the health of your yeast. The Morebeer.com and Lallemand websites as well as Scott I believe, have the procedures for properly hydrating yeast.

IMHO, here is a varying opinion, if your using US-05 yeast in the pink packet. It tell you on the packet not to re-hydrate. OP if you like this hobby, making starters is fun and easy. Starters make fermentation start faster, all you're yeast are ready to party, when you pitch them in.

IMHO, here is a varying opinion, if your using US-05 yeast in the pink packet. It tell you on the packet not to re-hydrate.

Fermentis' website instructions discuss proper rehydration. So does Danstar's. You will kill up to 50% of the yeast cells by pitching it dry. That is not opinion. It is debated with respect to how much your final product is impacted, sure, but there should be no debate about impact on viable cell count.

Fermentis' website instructions discuss proper rehydration. So does Danstar's. You will kill up to 50% of the yeast cells by pitching it dry. That is not opinion. It is debated with respect to how much your final product is impacted, sure, but there should be no debate about impact on viable cell count.

I completely agree. The manufacturers all indicate that rehydration is the proper way to use dry yeast, and ensures a higher viability at pitch time compared to pitching dry.

Cheers!

IMHO, here is a varying opinion, if your using US-05 yeast in the pink packet. It tell you on the packet not to re-hydrate.[...]

Nope. I pitched two batches with US-05 just yesterday and all it says on the packet is "Sprinkle into wort". Otoh, the Fermentis pdf for the same yeast recommends rehydration - which is what I've always done...

Cheers!

Here is where I'm stumped. Why take the time and trouble to rehydrate, when your dumping it in wort anyway? Won't it rehydrate in the wort? That was a good link boy, but did it say you could risk killing off up to 50% of your yeast? I didn't see it? It said either or?

The links suggest you rehydrate, the book talks about killing half your yeast.

Rehydrating in the wort is a shock to the yeast. They need to rehydrate to build cell walls that are capable of properly regulating the flow of sugars and nutrients into the cell before they encounter the onslaught of nutrients and sugars in the wort. I will try and find a quote from the book when I get home, or you may find more on this if you search the interwebz in the meantime.

The Danstar link isn't really either/or, they state it is best to rehydrate as long as you follow the proper guidelines. If you just toss the dry yeast into some cool, chlorinated tap water and leave it for a while, you will do more harm than good. If you follow the rehydrating instructions from either website, you will have more healthy cells to pitch.

Sorry, this is the correct Danstar link where the say rehydrating is important:
http://www.danstaryeast.com/about/frequently-asked-questions

Why is rehydrating the dry yeast before pitching important?

Dry beer yeast needs to be reconstituted in a gentle way. During rehydration the cell membrane undergoes changes which can be lethal to yeast. In order to reconstitute the yeast as gently as possible (and minimize/avoid any damage) yeast producers developed specific rehydration procedures. Although most dry beer yeast will work if pitched directly into wort, it is recommended to follow the rehydration instructions to insure the optimum performance of the yeast.

And this is the more relevant info from Fermentis below. I grabbed the wrong links for you in my earlier post, sorry:

From http://www.brewwithfermentis.com/tips-tricks/yeast-rehydration/
Before dry yeast can start fermenting, they need to absorb the water they lost during the drying process.
Yeasts are living organisms and rehydration temperature is critical for good yeast performance.
Fermentis recommends that top fermenting (ale) yeasts are rehydrated at a temperature between 25-29°C (77-84°F) and that bottom fermenting yeasts (lager) are rehydrated at a temperature range of 21-25°C (69-77°F).
Rehydration is done in a vessel outside the fermentor. The objective is to reduce the lag phase : the time necessary for the yeasts to start fermenting sugars to alcohol after inoculating the wort.
Rehydration is a simple procedure.

Rehydrate the yeast in 10 times its weight of water or wort. Gently stir. Allow a 30 minutes rest. Pitch the resultant cream in the fermenter.

Ok home now and found the quote. Also just realizing how many posts I put up on this thread... my apologies. Last one, then I will quietly fade into the background.

From Yeast by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff, pg. 124:

If you are working with dry yeast, determining how much to pitch is relatively easy. Most dry yeast contains about 7 billion to 20 billion cells per gram, depending on the cell size and other nonyeast material, but that is not the number of viable cells per gram you will have once you rehydrate the yeast. That depends on a number of factors, such as storage and rehydration techniques. Find out from your supplier how many viable cells per gram you can expect (which might be as low as 5 billion), then simply divide the number of cells needed by the number of viable cells, and you will know the weight in grams of dry yeast needed. Of course, this assumes all the yeast is active and that you properly rehydrate it following the manufacturer's recommendations before pitching. Failure to rehydrate dry yeast properly will result in the death of approximately half the cells.

Boy thank-you for the time you put into this, and I can see this is a deeper issue than I thought.

Thanks to everyone for providing such useful info I understand more about the nature of yeast and how it works in beer

Back