Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Err, yeah. Soccer....

soccer-is-so-gay.jpg

I love me some hockey (even if the Caps have done f*@$ all but blow it thus far), rugby, and football (soccer, not hand egg).

Most of the rest of the world has hooligans for fans. Know what they call Hooligans in hockey? Players. :rockin:

You can't beat what a group of Genoa Ultras did last year. Team wasn't performing well, so the Ultras force a stop to the game until their own players surrender their jerseys because they weren't fit to wear the colors. But even in the US football (soccer) fans blow all the other sports away. I'd love to see tifo get used in hockey.

"crappy" Dubnyk with the shutout. Oilers win 2nd in a row
"long time star" Reimer gets the hook. Leafs winless in 3, bring on the 2nd half slump

"crappy" Dubnyk with the shutout. Oilers win 2nd in a row
"long time star" Reimer gets the hook. Leafs winless in 3, bring on the 2nd half slump

The Oilers managed two wins without any losses in between? They better be careful, or they're not going to get another 1st-overall draft pick that they so desperately need.

Who do they think they are, Pittsburgh? At the very least, it looks like their "fans" picked out a similarly spacious bandwagon.

The Oilers managed two wins without any losses in between? They better be careful, or they're not going to get another 1st-overall draft pick that they so desperately need.

Who do they think they are, Pittsburgh? At the very least, it looks like their "fans" picked out a similarly spacious bandwagon.

This was directed at Paulster who was claiming the oilers had no future or plan for the future and that Dubnyk was crap and acting like Reimer was a star, even though outside of wins the career stats are almost identical in most areas. Thought it was funny that when the oilers lost to Nashville he was talking a lot of trash, but now that the leafs are on a winless streak and the oilers on a winning streak seems like he has nothing to say

And people were worried that Lupul was going to be extremely rusty coming back from an injury after such a long time. On an assist from Kadri, who has been incredible as it is, but absolutely ridiculous when you consider he was just called up from the AHL - I mean, the last couple years he'd been called up for a few games here and there, but this is the first year he's convinced the team that he's really ready for the NHL as a "permanent" player, and boy is he ever!

Outstanding game for the Bruins this afternoon, scoring all five goals in a 4-1 win over the Caps. Aaaaaand payback is once again a beyotch.

Bs came out like they were on a mission from God. Lots of solid hitting, a couple of good battles when the aggro level hit 11. Had to like Horton getting all freaky with a Gordy Howe hat trick and a clutch of points.

Tomorrow ends the week from hell in Pittsburg. Seems appropriate...

Cheers! ;)

Wow. 10 friggin' shootout rounds for Winnie to beat the hapless Leafs. Painful to watch - although the half dozen pipes at least made it halfway interesting.

Meanwhile, the Debbils still haven't found their lost mojo, letting the Habs off the hook (and giving them a one point lead over the Bs - dammit!) in a game they barely showed up to play.

Wing/Canucks up next. Will Detroit leapfrog over Vancouver? Stay tuned (ok, more like Stay Awake)...

Cheers! ;)

[edit] A goal 6 seconds in?!? Seriously?

"Vancouver Millionaires" throw-back jerseys.

Vancouver_Millionaires_1915.jpg

Honest, I had to check the channel guide when they were free skating before the game because I thought a college game was about to break out...

Cheers!

I've seen much worse NFL throw-back jerseys...

btw, is there anyone in pro hockey more insane than Don Cherry? :D

Cheers!

You have a point, the steelers throwbacks would be a good example of horrid uniforms.

If Don Cherry is the hockey expert for Canada, I think we know why Canadian teams always fall short in the playoffs.

You have a point, the steelers throwbacks would be a good example of horrid uniforms.

Perfect! That was precisely the outfit that immediately came to mind :mug:
If there ever was a Technicolor Yawn in football, that ensemble is totally it!

If Don Cherry is the hockey expert for Canada, I think we know why Canadian teams always fall short in the playoffs.

I love the guy, having had him as our coach during some of my many "formative years" ;)
The outfit he had on tonight was classic Cherry.
I can't think of anyone else on the toob that could get away with that! :D

Cheers!

And still has an even +/- for the game, but he is a minus player for his career so to be expected. I will translate that for you - The leaf give up more goals with him on the ice than they score. Shouldnt your #1 defenceman keep the other team from scoring? Even Ladislav Smid was +4 last year

Sorry - I was away for a week doing fun things in Colorado and thus have been absent from silly comments such as this.

Let me translate +/- for you. It is USELESS when used on its own to illustrate a players effectiveness. Mark Fraser was (is?) leading the league in +/- with a +17. Does this mean he's a better defenseman than Dion Phaneuf? Of course not, it's not even close.

Without looking at what situations a player is playing in and the overall effectiveness of their game, +/- is the stupidest thing ever. If you think Dion Phaneuf is not a top-pairing defenceman, you need to look at the bigger picture.

Without looking at what situations a player is playing in and the overall effectiveness of their game, +/- is the stupidest thing ever.

+/- is only measured in even strength situations, so what situation is going to make much of a difference?
While I agree it is not the only tool used to measure effectiveness it does say something about my overrated comment.
His main job- keep the opposition from scoring.
His secondary job- start the rush/counterattack

+/- is only measured in even strength situations, so what situation is going to make much of a difference?
While I agree it is not the only tool used to measure effectiveness it does say something about my overrated comment.
His main job- keep the opposition from scoring.
His secondary job- start the rush/counterattack

What situation?

How about the other 4 skaters on his team? How about the other 5 skaters on the other team that this particular player is being put against? How about your own goddamn goalie?

Mark Fraser is currently 3rd in the league in +/-. He is up there with such all stars as Sheldon Souray, Zdeno Chara (legit), and Francois Beauchemin.

Justin Schultz is in 263rd place with a -12. I'm pretty sure he's a better D-man than Mark effing Fraser. Could it be he plays on a **** team with a **** goalie and is paired up against the other teams' top lines all the time? Probably.

+/- cannot be used on its own to judge a person's effectiveness. It is the single most misused stat on the planet, and is only pulled out when no other facts can support a statement about a player.

A player with a low +/- to me just looks like they play top-line minutes on a bubble team or a bottom-feeder. That's all.

Are saying he would be more effective if he got to play against less skilled players??? And you cant blame the goaltender if the defenceman gets beat. this comment is the funniest thing I have ever heard, blaming the other 5 players. just imagine all the shut outs Dubnyk would have if it wasn't for the 5 opposition players, or all the goals Kessel would have if it wasn't for the other teamd goaltender
Phaneuf biggest drawback is as hes laying out these big hits, while they look good , hes does eliminate the opposing skater from the play but he also eliminates himself by also being knocked down or leaving himself out of position for a couple seconds

I'm saying +/- is not for judging the effectiveness of a player. Having a high + number doesn't mean you are effective. It means you were on the ice when your team scored a goal. It is a stat that is just way too subject to other team factors and plain luck to be of any importance.

I used to be like you - I used to love +/- since it looks so simple and self-explanatory. But then I grew up and realized its bunk. Watch the games. You'll see certain players are used in certain situations, leading to things like getting scored on. Specific players take defensive-zone faceoffs, increasing the likelihood of getting scored on, while others are used more frequently in the offensive zone, increasing the likelihood of padding the +/- stat.

Look at your own team, for crying out loud. Top of the list: Mark Fistric, a +6. Bottom of the list: Justin Schultz, a -12.
Or look at forwards: Mike Brown, E vs. Jordan Eberle, -8.

At any given point in time, would you rather have Fistric and Brown out there, or Schultz and Eberle?

And I haven't seen Phaneuf put himself out of position going for a big hit once this season, resulting in a goal. When did this happen? Seriously - I must have missed it and would really like to see it.

Latest posts

Back