Another way of Rousing the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmead

Reaction score
To prevent any of the yeasties from getting smothered. I'm thinking of coating a piece of iron with neutral inert silicone and dropping it into the carboy so I can stir up the yeast from beneath by running a strong magnet about on the surface of the bottom. Do you think this would work?

This is basically what a stir plate does. If you are doing things right with temp control there should be no need to ever stir up the yeast.

When I do big beers (which is the only time I feel the need to rouse the yeast) I just rock the carboy lightly for about a minute. Swirl it back and forth a bit.

With a proper starter/pitch rates, proper oxygenation for yeast health, and proper fermentation temperatures, you would never have to rouse the yeast. I certainly would work on that end of the equation first.

With a proper starter/pitch rates, proper oxygenation for yeast health, and proper fermentation temperatures, you would never have to rouse the yeast. I certainly would work on that end of the equation first.

I know but I had a belgian triple that stoped at 1.020 from 1.080 and I wanted it to get lower FG. Next time ill oxygenat more and Ill finish the fermentation higher (72). I just wanted advise if all that doesnt workout.

Back