Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 or two left, with easy to absorb items if need be...

collectively thank you everyone participating and coordinating, especially Art and Bill.

UPDATE

I believe everyone is paid up; I'll update the spreadsheet later on today. This is the biggest buy so far ($13,300 and over 70 participants yet it's the quickest that we have ever collected payment (less than 4 days). Thanks, everyone.

I asked for a quote/invoice on Friday and I hope to get it on Monday. All of the money has been transferred to my account and it should be clear and available in full by Wednesday. But PayPal can be finicky. Same with the chase payments.

I've decided to do a wire transfer since a credit card payment would need to be done across multiple transactions that would probably take longer than a wire.

Realistically, we are looking at delivery late this week or early the following week. Keep in mind that when grain is delivered it still needs to be split prior to people picking up. We will probably need a whole day for the splits which probably means a Saturday since everyone works during the week.

Start planning your brewing sessions.

Just received an email from the supplier. The only items out of stock are Toasted Chips and PBW-8# containers (they only have two available at the moment). I asked if we could place these items on back order and am still awaiting a reply. Also they for got to add the shipping costs so I asked for that as well. Looks like all of the grains are in. Will keep everyone posted as usual.

EDIT: The JD Barrels were not included in the quote either so I need to ask about that also.

They are requesting a rate quote on the barrels. They will let me know ASAP.

Has anyone tried 3 Floyd's Ham on Rye? It came out a few years ago and I don't think they are going to make it again anytime soon. I am trying to brew something close to it. This is my current thinking on the grain bill. I will probably use T-58 for its peppery quality and a light dose of Saaz. Any thoughts or suggestions?

0.38 6.00 2 Row or Vienna
0.29 4.50 Smoked Malt
0.22 3.50 Rye
0.02 0.25 Honey Malt
0.03 0.50 Carapils or Wheat
0.06 1.00 .75 lbs of Honey
15.75 Pounds of Malt
24.00 Quarts
1.52 Quarts/Pounds

I've had it, yet I will be of no help. I don't remember it being that estery in the yeast department, however.

No it was not. I could ferment in the low 60's but I think I'd trade lower spice for lower ester.

bmason1623 said:
Just received an email from the supplier. The only items out of stock are Toasted Chips and PBW-8# containers (they only have two available at the moment). I asked if we could place these items on back order and am still awaiting a reply. Also they for got to add the shipping costs so I asked for that as well. Looks like all of the grains are in. Will keep everyone posted as usual.

EDIT: The JD Barrels were not included in the quote either so I need to ask about that also.

Nooooo!! I ordered both of those things. How will I compare fortified bourbon/oak to barreled?!

jmg727 said:
Has anyone tried 3 Floyd's Ham on Rye? It came out a few years ago and I don't think they are going to make it again anytime soon. I am trying to brew something close to it. This is my current thinking on the grain bill. I will probably use T-58 for its peppery quality and a light dose of Saaz. Any thoughts or suggestions?

0.38 6.00 2 Row or Vienna
0.29 4.50 Smoked Malt
0.22 3.50 Rye
0.02 0.25 Honey Malt
0.03 0.50 Carapils or Wheat
0.06 1.00 .75 lbs of Honey
15.75 Pounds of Malt
24.00 Quarts
1.52 Quarts/Pounds

I've had it and won't make that mistake again. Can't help on the recipe unfortunately. There's something in it though that makes it taste distinctly like drinking a ham sandwich. And it wasn't pleasant. I don't think I even finished the pint.
It's been a few years and I'd like to think my tastes have changed, but that beer left a pretty big scar.

bmason1623 said:

I thought of this after the order went through. But for all of the individual 8# orders, we could have all pooled that money and gotten several 50# pails and split it up.

I've had it and won't make that mistake again. Can't help on the recipe unfortunately. There's something in it though that makes it taste distinctly like drinking a ham sandwich. And it wasn't pleasant. I don't think I even finished the pint.
It's been a few years and I'd like to think my tastes have changed, but that beer left a pretty big scar.

one of my very articulate friends tried this beer and he described it as tasting like "****". I took his word for it and didn't bother trying it for myself.

Just the tip...

ForumRunner_20130225_201951.jpg

I thought of this after the order went through. But for all of the individual 8# orders, we could have all pooled that money and gotten several 50# pails and split it up.

If this makes things easer, I'm game for splitting a 50#?

I got my pump today, now i just need an adapter, some glue and i guess 1/2" OD pvc
Why do you have 2 buckets in there?

1/2" PVC if you want it to fit thru a standard glass carboy. The two buckets are for the keggle to sit on. I have a different reservoir configuration for carboys and cornies.

I think I have asked about 5 times for a quote that includes shipping charges and still can't seem to get this information. I have also asked about a wire transfer and it's been pretty much ignored. I won't be back in my office until late today so I will need to call tomorrow morning. Only so much that can be accomplished through emails.

I added a separate quote for the Jack Daniel barrels in the spreadsheet. Also included notes on the freight and misc. costs.

Bill,

Looks like we owe an additional $9 ($165 - $156) if my math is correct. Did you want payment made now or should we wait? Just let me know.

Mark

I like beer.

Had to post something in here so it shows up in My Replies. :tank:

UPDATE

I will be receiving the wire transfer information this morning. Once I give them the go-ahead to process the quote into an order they will advise me on any additional out of stock items.

Question-Is it ok for the distributor to make appropriate substitutions on out of stock items? They will substitute with an item of equal or greater value. I am strongly leaning this way and may just let them do it otherwise this will drag out longer and be open to potential errors.

We could drop ship from another location but then we are responsible for the shipping charges.

Discuss.

Take the subs. What about hops though? Would they just assume an appropriate sub?

By the way, MCM called our order sizable. I bet we are one of their bigger customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back