Fitting 4kegs into a GE 7.0 fcm7suww Keezer (Cutting Corny Keg rubber?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AStrafaccia

Reaction score
This is my first post :-D.

I have been searching for the answer and I can't find one. I built a keezer using the information found on this forum. I used a 7.0CF fcm7suww GE Freezer here are some pics

549941_10100179120378579_198929267_n.jpg

205683_10100189324434569_1312008970_n.jpg

As you can see I built it to hold 4 kegs, because the internet said that model can hold 4, I've even seen pictures with it holding 4. But for some reason for my freezer its basically impossible to fit all 4 in. If I could get like 1/4"-1/2" I bet they would slide in really nice. I was noticing that the rubber foot of the keg is what is really jamming everything up, it bulges out a bit in all direction.

So my questions are:
1. Anyone know of a good way to cut that rubber? Just to make it thinner?
2. Is there a better way to make them all fit? Maybe use a mallet on the hump and dent it in?

I know that there is the option of buying a 3gal keg and putting it on the hump. But I would rather try some options before dropping the cash to do that.

What type corny kegs are you using? That could be the difference right there, as the ball lock (pepsi style) kegs are 3" taller, but have a diameter that is 1" smaller thank the pin lock (coke style). (from cornykeg.com)

quotes from their website (I couldn't find the exact diameters after a quick search, so just copied this)
"Pin Lock Cornelius Kegs: Pin lock Cornelius kegs are also known as Coke kegs, because this style was used exclusively by the Coca Cola Company and use a pin-lock style disconnect to connect and disconnect to the liquid and gas lines. Pin lock Cornelius kegs have small pins around the perimeter of the post. The disconnects are pressed on the post and the collar rotates to lock onto the pins.

Ball Lock Cornelius Kegs: Ball lock Cornelius kegs are also known as Pepsi kegs; this style was used by Pepsi but was also used by everyone else so this style became more popular than the pin lock. Ball lock Cornelius kegs use a ball lock disconnect to connect and disconnect to the liquid and gas lines. Ball lock disconnects lock on by lifting the collar up, pushing it on the post and then releasing the collar.

The Differences:

Other than the connections there are a couple of other differences you may find between the two styles. The first difference is the dimensions. A standard Pepsi style keg is about 3” taller and 1” smaller in diameter than a standard coke style keg.

The second thing you will find is that the Pepsi style Cornelius Kegs typically have a pull ring relief valve in the center of the lid while the coke style Cornelius Kegs have a “fuse” type relief valve. In the case of the Coke style Cornelius Keg most people just depress the gas side post to relieve pressure from the keg.

"

What type corny kegs are you using? That could be the difference right there, as the ball lock (pepsi style) kegs are 3" taller, but have a diameter that is 1" smaller thank the pin lock (coke style). (from cornykeg.com)
"

I am using the ball lock style. I made sure about that, if I was using the pin lock, I'd be inches away from getting the 4th one in.

you can try but i dont think cutting it will do much good

Why not? I just need like a quarter to half of an inch. You don't think they bulge out enough to make the difference?

Think I could hammer and dent in the hump a little bit with like a rubber mallet?

You really have to cram it in there but 4 will fit. Probably end up denting the hump a little and leaving a little rubber turf marks on the side.

There must be some serious manufacturing differences between these freezers. I have the same model and can easily fit 4 kegs on the floor and a 5lb CO2 bottle. I do use 2 of the older single handle style ball locks which might be narrower but I'm pretty sure I could fit 4 of the normal ball locks in there as there is ~1/4" between each keg. You could try taking a belt sander to the rubber base to shave it down some.

You might also try gently hammering the side of the shelf with a rubber mallet to get a little more space in there but I'd be careful. You definitely don't want to damage the freezer now that you've built the keezer.

For what its worth, I've had this freezer for a year and a half and have had no issues.

photo (1).jpg

Mine is similar. I removed the white plastic liner your reg. is attached to-removed the yellow fluff insulation, and replaced that with the solid-ish blue type stuff. Gained ~ 1'' at least.

Are you sure of the model number? It looks like there are two versions of the GE 7 cu in freezer and some fit 4 kegs and some don't.

Mine fits 4 ball-lock kegs no problem. We could confirm if it is your freezer or kegs if you want to measure the dimensions. If you post them, I can compare them to mine.

The other possibility is that you have converted ball-lock kegs.

I have a 7.0 Magic Chef with 5 kegs, 3 ball locks on the bottom and 2 pin lock (converted to ball lock) on the hump. Actuality one on the hump and one hanging off the hump with a short piece of 4x4 under one side to keep it level.

keezer1.jpg

If they're converted ball locks it won't even be close to fitting a 4th keg. Most likely your kegs have a larger rubber base. I was looking at mine today and the base is the exact same diameter as the steel. If it was much wider I could see an issue getting them in. I'd try and shave the bases so they're flush with the steel side. That plus some gentile work with a rubber mallet should get them in if they're close.

Have you tried other configurations? I set mine starting with the back left corner which if I remember right gave me a little more wiggle room.

Also, once you so get them in I'd sit them on some wood blocks so that air can circulate around the kegs. When they're that close to touching you may have issues keeping temps even. I've done this on mine and its bone dry inside and the temps are stable.

I have the GE 7.0cf model from Home Depot and just came back from trying to fit 4 ball lock kegs in it. They're in there so tight that I can almost lift the freezer trying to pull a keg out. I tried whacking the hump with a rubber mallet and it was no go as there were two lines that started to appear in the metal sheeting and it wasn't giving at all. I eventually conceded that it was always going to just super tight.

The only way they fit is if I start at the back left and work toward the hump, leaving the second to last spot open and filling it last. If you come up with a way of making it fit better, I'd love to hear it.

If the kegs are that tight you definitely want them sitting off the floor of the freezer so air can move around in there.

I'm also betting the sides in the freezer aren't completely flat. These things are basically sheet metal stuffed with insulation and copper tubing so there's a good chance for manufacturing variations. If one side is excessively bulged you might be able compress it with a flat board and a mallet.

If you can find one or 2 of the older single handle kegs you could probably get it in. The base on mine is actually slightly narrower than the body and there is obviously no rubber top.

This is what I'm talking about:

KG604.jpg

WOW, this is exactly the thread I've been looking for! I have encountered the same problem. Admittedly, it's been very frustrating as I bought this model at home depot based on the schematics shared in this forum with the goal of getting four-on-the-floor. It's soooo close, I only need an inch or so. Up to this point, I've had 3 kegs in there on picnic taps and it's time to build the collar. I would love to find a 4-tap solution. As I see it, there are a couple of scenarios.

Option 1 - Small Kegs
Find four specialty narrow ball lock kegs. This could be the single-handle option Buckeye referenced earlier. Anyone know where to find these? I can't find anything like it online.

Option 2 - Big Collar: 7-3/4"
Bite the bullet and build a big damn collar to fit another ball-lock keg on the hump. ufff. BUMMER.
**Measurements courtesy of Thadius HERE.**

Option 3 - Medium Collar: 3-3/4"
Use three ball lock kegs on the floor and then one converted pin-lock to ball-lock keg and save a few vertical inches. This still requires a sizeable collar. IN fact, I haven't measured it myself because I don't have a pin lock available. So I am going off previous homebrew talk threads.
**Measurements courtesy of Thadius HERE**

Option 4 - Make More Room
Sounds like orignialben talked about physically changing the liner/insulation of the fridge. But to be honest, I have no idea what he's suggesting. Haha. And that sounds way over my head.

Seems like option 3 is the way to go. I need to make a collar anyways, so I just account for the height of a pin-lock keg (converted to ball-lock connections). It'll save a few inches. What do you guys think? Anything I haven't considered?

Back