I have a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
Since I got my kegerator, I feel like I'm not able to brew as often as I would like. I picked up a 6 tap (with 6 kegs), but I'm not able to brew more beer until they're empty. Somehow, I never had this problem with bottles...

I really don't want to go back to bottling, and getting more kegs would result in SWMBO forcefully removing my sole-remaining testicle.

I'm a brewing addict!!!

Sounds like you need to drink more, or give more of your beer to friends. You can always bottle from the keg...but this ends up being more work then just bottling in the first place. Other options include brewing smaller amounts, maybe 2.5 or 4 gallon batches to increase turnover.

Just get a couple extra kegs (and hide them well) The lag time between brewing and serving will even let you naturally carb them, saving yourself some CO2 costs.

When I get a nice full pipeline of kegged beer that is when I start going to the big beers. Ones that can just sit in the secondary for months. I also bottle these for the most part.

I'd suggest that route; barleywine, RIS, big Belgians, Baltic Porter is a good brew this time of year, sours if you're into that, lagers if you can.

Get growlers (say 10 of them), and fill them up and take them with wherever you go (friend's house, family functions, church?!) Leave them behind if needed, and get the empties back as you revisit these people. You'll empty your kegs 6 beers at a time faster, and you'll make more friends who will seemingly keep asking for more beer. Your problem will be solved...

I'm having a superbowl party (and 2 of those kegs had better kick!!!), and I bring beer to the office every Friday.

SWMBO was asking me why I can't just sell growler fills. lol

Just admitting you have a problem is the most difficult step. Now you can begin the process of recovery. :mug:

Since drinking more is probably not the best answer, as it could lead to a much bigger problem, your best options are to give more away and/or make smaller batches. I do 4 gallon batches into the fermenter, which yields about 3.25-3.5 gallons into the keg. I also give away plenty. This way, I get to brew every couple of weeks.

AgentHubcap said:
Since I got my kegerator, I feel like I'm not able to brew as often as I would like. I picked up a 6 tap (with 6 kegs), but I'm not able to brew more beer until they're empty. Somehow, I never had this problem with bottles...

I really don't want to go back to bottling, and getting more kegs would result in SWMBO forcefully removing my sole-remaining testicle.

I'm a brewing addict!!!

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say she's pissed about all the money you're spending on brewing. No problem, I've figured out a method so that SWMBO is none the wiser to money I've spent.

eBay has a nice little feature called "bill me later", Which is an interest free purchase as long as you pay it off in 6 months. Basically all you do is buy what you need with this feature and slowly pay it off over the 6 months so she doesn't notice a boatload of funds coming out of your checking account all at once. Then make sure you're home first on the day it's being delivered and you're all good.

I've purchased most of my golf clubs and kegging supplies using this sneaky little trick. Sure, she knows I've bought stuff, but doesn't actually see the full dollar amount I've spent. Do this, and she'll stay off your ass about your purchases.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say she's pissed about all the money you're spending on brewing. No problem, I've figured out a method so that SWMBO is none the wiser to money I've spent.

eBay has a nice little feature called "bill me later", Which is an interest free purchase as long as you pay it off in 6 months. Basically all you do is buy what you need with this feature and slowly pay it off over the 6 months so she doesn't notice a boatload of funds coming out of your checking account all at once. Then make sure you're home first on the day it's being delivered and you're all good.

I've purchased most of my golf clubs and kegging supplies using this sneaky little trick. Sure, she knows I've bought stuff, but doesn't actually see the full dollar amount I've spent. Do this, and she'll stay off your ass about your purchases.

:off:Awesome marriage/relationship advice...deceive your significant other. what a shame

Massive competition entering? That's my goal for this year. I love to brew but hate to put on weight. Only solution is to get rid of it via handouts to friends and/or competition. Hoping at the end of this year to have a wall full of shineys. We'll see!

SWMBO doesn't really care about how much I spend. She knows it is a lot cheaper than actually buying beer, and she'd rather me be brewing, then at a bar.

I may enter some contests, but I don't normally brew to style, so that may be difficult...

Back