Hydrometer reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
The bubbler only bubbled for less than a day. Now 5 days since the boil, I am anxious to get a reading. Is it OK to take the lid off the bucket and get a reading, then re attach the lid? My plan was to get a drinking glass, spray with star san, and scoop out about a cup being careful to not touch the beer. Then put it in the hydrometer flask, test, and discard. Does this sound logical. BTW - No, I did not get an OG reading. Doh.

Get a thief, sanitize, and take a reading in either a beaker or the thief itself (if so equipped).

As for the timing, I'm curious about that myself. I popped the top on my ale after 3 days of zero air-lock activity to find that the gravity had dropped like a rock, so obviously it was fermenting but was leaking somewhere other than the air-lock. I haven't touched it since then (that was about 3 days ago).

You could let it sit a few more days without harm, but what you're proposing should work. Make sure the glass is sanitized inside and out if your going to dip it in there. Later on, you can get a thief or use a sanitized turkey baster to draw your sample. Be sure your hydrometer reads 1.000 in distilled/soft water at the listed calibration temperature, usually in the 60-65 degree range depending on the device.

A thief or turkey baster may be a better choice, but if a glass is all you have it should be ok. Do you have something to put the hydrometer in to take the measurement? The glass probably won't work.

Personally, I would wait longer to take the reading, but it is probably ok.

Also, taste the sample. It is good information regarding what green beers taste like.

I'd leave it alone for another 10 days at least. Then take a reading. I just star-san my hydrometer and drop it straight in the bucket.

Gary

I just star san my hydrometer and drop it right in the bucket as well. I always wondered if this was ok! Lol it has always seemed to work fine for me. I tried a reading in a test tube and also in the bucket to make sure they were the same and they were! So i have been doing it ever since! Much easier!

When I take a sample for a reading, I put it into the bong-looking tube that came with my hydrometer. After the reading, the beer gets poured into a "rocks" glass, which is filled pretty well. If you're going to dip a glass in your fermenter, this should be enough of a sample for you, but a turkey baster or wine thief will keep your fingers out of it. And yes, wait. 5 days isn't long enough.

Couldn't wait. 1.027. Book says it should start around 1.050. So good news. Hopefully this trend keeps up. Will give it several more days, possibly weeks.

Couldn't wait. 1.027. Book says it should start around 1.050. So good news. Hopefully this trend keeps up. Will give it several more days, possibly weeks.

I'm concerned about your gravity. 1.027 sounds high for a 1.050 beer after 5 days. I'd expect you to be below 1.020 anyway. If your ambient temperature is below 68 degrees F at your fermenter, I'd move it to a warmer place and gently swirl the fermenter to rouse the yeast.

I'm concerned about your gravity. 1.027 sounds high for a 1.050 beer after 5 days. I'd expect you to be below 1.020 anyway. If your ambient temperature is below 68 degrees F at your fermenter, I'd move it to a warmer place and gently swirl the fermenter to rouse the yeast.

I'd also check it in another day or two and see if it's moving down or stalled. It could be fermenting at a slow rate.

Back